Wednesday, December 07, 2022

Wednesday Words Among The Sound of Silence

 


I called hockey today and Brunswick might not let me back in the rink.

In the past three Bruins games, dating back to March, Brunswick is 0-3 with yours truly on the mic.

Kent -- the team that beat Brunswick in March for the Large School championship -- won again today 6-4.

I packed up and came home.

I was looking for a quiet night around the place. I wanted some dinner and, in those moments, I like to have some music playing.

Yet, for some time, I've struggled with picking out music to listen to. 

Honestly, it's a thing for me. My collection is so vast and varied that I often need clarification on what I want to hear.

So, usually, I just go with The Beatles because they're the fricking Beatles.

But, seriously, unless I hit on something -- an urge for jazz or something else -- I go with silence.

Like I did tonight. I enjoyed my big bowl of turkey noodle soup in peace.

That wasn't what I had in mind. I like my variety of tunes and relish digging in to find some gem to play. Yet, for some time, that's just not hitting me. 

But the silence gave me time to reflect on the day and the broadcast. For me, a broadcast isn't "standard operating procedure." Each game has its own flow and storyline. In this case, the rematch of the championship combatants was the story. The Bruins had won a couple of games since I saw them a week earlier.

The thing you don't like if you're a Bruins supporter is losing a lead. But there was simply too much time left in the game and Kent is too talented. They're also evenly matched with Wick.

So the Lions tied the game at four, scored late to make it 5-4, and tacked on an empty-net goal to make it 6-4. The shame of it is that the Bruins had a power play down a goal and I love that kind of drama.

But it wasn't meant to be.

And so I reflected on all of this as I enjoyed my incredible soup.

I also had a note in a private message from a Kent School father, thanking me for the broadcast. Those simple words of kindness, especially when they come from the so-called opposition, mean a lot. Yet I also had the parents of a Bruins player who lives in California, come tell me that they appreciate the broadcasts and they watch at their home near San Diego.

Their words had me in a glass case of emotion.

This self-promotion just feels so shameful to me, even as I'm typing them. I realize we have to be our own PR firms but there just feels like a right way and a wrong way. I know someone online who is so truly over-the-top and refuses to hear it.

Attitude, I explained to my recent CSB class, is everything. At least I think it is. So such narcissism or arrogance can be extremely damaging to a reputation.

Still, I'm proud of the kindness of these people today. It's quite meaningful.

Sweet music for sure, even if I don't know what the heck to play when I'm in my quiet abode.

Now I have two days to essentially rest my voice before the Saturday football finale. I'll do "Doubleheader" tomorrow and I'll be on WGCH Friday morning at 7:50 with Tony Savino but I don't have to stress myself with any games until 5:20 Saturday afternoon.

Hmmm. What should I talk about "Doubleheader" tomorrow? Has there been any news? Anything? I don't want to, er, Judge.

(Oh for the love of Babe Ruth the takes have been amusingly horrific. Tomorrow's show should be fun.)

I'll be at Brunswick next week for basketball (I think) but I won't be anywhere near the hockey team until early January when they come back to play at home.

That is if they allow me back in the rink.

No comments: