Friday, December 30, 2022

Babbling about Broadcasting

 


Four years ago tonight, I sat down at the computer and said, "I need to write on the blog or it's over."

Boom. #Project365 was born. Encouraged by all of you, I've written on 1,462 consecutive days.

Yes, the topics have often been repetitive: sports, play-by-play, broadcasting, the cat, Sean, life, mental health, travel, sports, play-by-play, and sports.

You know, something like that.

So, today, I'll do more of the same.

No, this isn't a year in a review. But, maybe it sort of is.

A year (ending tomorrow) that is like every other year: good and bad.

I found myself reflecting as I sat in the lobby outside of the Hartong Rink at Brunswick this morning. The road had led me to more game broadcasts in a year than ever before. I felt so grateful to have one last call in 2022.

I did the math: 40 baseball games, 27 football, 29 basketball, 20 ice hockey, and so on. I felt a swelling of pride as I counted. I thought about the various places we worked and the experiences we had.

We'd been to Atlantic City and Easthampton and Fairfield and Middletown and Lagrangeville and Greenwich, of course.

Sadly, there were no Mahopac games, and it's possible that stretch is over but I'm smart enough to never say never. Places develop their own tastes whether we like it or not. It explains how a lot of things -- maybe everything -- that gets popular find an audience.

Today wasn't about that anyway. Today was pausing to remember that, after a day in which I felt I lacked energy (low caffeine). I was charged up and ready for one more broadcast. Ice hockey between Brunswick and Belmont Hill was coming up.

Of course, I think of my parents because I always think of them. I know they fretted over me getting into this business and they weren't wrong. To be sure, I'd like a bit of a steadier life and to settle some things down as we flip the calendar. I'm not a resolution type of gut but I'd definitely say a steadier life remains my goal.

That doesn't mean I'm saying I'm backing down from my game schedule. Oh, hardly. 

I still enjoy it so much. I'm able to hide under a headset and just describe while telling stories for a few hours.

But, what you might not remember is how I almost didn't want to come back to calling games about a year ago. I was crushed. My heart. My soul. My confidence.

Crushed.

But I climbed back on the horse with ice hockey and the sadness of the passing of Teddy Balkind. Out of that came normalcy and a sense of peace being back at the rink. 

Then came basketball and wrestling. And, for the first time, I called wrestling on my own. It terrified me and I knew that one of the teams wanted their broadcasters to call it so I was in a no-win. But I still called it and did it, ahem, my way. It was a video broadcast so the picture did the work and I filled the spaces.

It worked. I'm charged up to try it again.

Then baseball in late March. I remember telling friends that I wondered if I still had the ability (or, in my words: "I suck") and, to be honest, I still don't know, but I did it. I filled in on a couple of University of New Haven broadcasts. Sadly, nothing more came of working with them.

I also snagged a Manhattan College game. Again, just one.

So we take the wins and the losses. I regained my baseball spikes eventually, with Brunswick, Fairfield National Little League, and the Babe Ruth Regional standing me back up. Sadly, I called my last pitch in July.

Oh, and in the middle of all of this, I also handled public address duties for a bunch of Renegades games. That, of course, was a whole different story but I stand firm that it was still a happy place to be among friends and family. Those family members intend to return in 2023 and, with that, I guess I am also.

It's baseball and I still love it.

I'll put the headset back on in January with more hockey. Basketball will also return. Maybe some wrestling.

I wish the schedule was a little more firm but there's also the ability to shift around and grab other broadcasts. I'd still like to get some Greenwich High School games back on the air where they belong.

I gave each broadcast everything I had, sometimes to the point of exhaustion. I worked with great friends but I also frequently worked alone.

But I feel grateful that I can do something that brings people joy or at least the satisfaction of coverage.

It's not a universal thing and I do have my critics for sure. 

And, believe me, this is far more about me than I'd prefer.

But I did want to ease up on myself for one post and tell you the pride I feel in these broadcasts for 2022.

I felt slightly emotional as I got ready to open the broadcast this morning as if somewhere Mom and Dad were smiling.

Yes, their concerns for this career were totally merited.

But, I've also done OK.

And I'll be back on the air soon.

I'm babbling. Like I do on the air.

Good night, everyone.

No comments: