Friday, December 16, 2022

Friday Night! Fun?

All that is missing is my can of lime seltzer

 

Hi there and happy Friday. 

It's me.

Hi.

Your friendly neighborhood party animal.

(Insert laugh track)

OK, now, to be fair, I did attend the 2022 Greenwich Football banquet last night at the Hyatt Regency Greenwich. 

I have always wanted to spend a night there just because I've been to so many events at the Hyatt over nearly 25 years. Still, that's not very likely since I live basically 10 minutes away (and that's driving extra slow).

Although, I will offer that Chris Erway and I wanted to grab a post-game beverage to officially wrap up the season and their grill/pub in the atrium was quite closed.

So, like a couple of tired old dudes (well, one old dude) we said goodnight, and I went home.

Thus it's Friday night and here I am. 

OK, so there was the banquet and there was "The Clubhouse" on Wednesday.

Yes, I'm a busy man. But, why am I busy?

When it involves work basically.

Allow this to serve as a reminder of why I've done so many broadcasts simply for fun. Besides the important contact-making, I also do a lot of stuff to get out of the house and, well, what's better for me than calling a game?

That's how I got through the raw early days of being single again. I'd go join Sean Ford at Dutchess Stadium and call baseball.

So, yeah, my social life is work.

London? Out every night! (with coworkers/friends)

San Francisco! Same! (same)

OK, hold on. Some of the guys would actually go and have a blast and I'd think about being tired and needing to get up early and oh my I just sound lame so I should really stop talking now.

Greenwich? Ha! I'm stretched out on my bed. My new iPad (jeez, it shouldn't be a three-hour process to buy the blasted thing) is updating. Sean is chatting with friends. The Cat (since I'm basically mocked about him on a daily basis) is chilling in his tower.

I mean, who has a more active social life than us?

The shame -- the awful shame -- is that there was a place within walking distance of my front door and it has not reopened since COVID. Pizza! Beer! PIZZA! 

There are constant rumors of them reopening but, so far, nothing.

There are other places that are a bit of a longer walk but, well, I'm alone and it's not that much fun.

Oh, have you ever walked into a bar alone? Like, a neighborhood place? Now, I've done that with friends and it still felt like the record scratched when I opened the door. But alone? You might as well just wreck the whole jukebox.

Now, let me be clear. I'm no party animal at all. I think I'm lame. I'm not much for loud bars anyway. I'm more of a nurse-the-beverage and have a nice chat type of soul.

Then again, I think I'm awful at small talk and not much of a great conversationalist. Plus most people figure I talk only about sports and broadcasting. 

So, yeah, I'm a bit of a stiff, which is exactly why I'm sitting on my bed as my iPad updates writing a blog post.

Oh, and I'm listing to a program of jazz music played on the Hammond B3 organ on my Amazon Echo.

Yeah. I suck.

But what about my friends? Well, yes, I have a wonderful and varied group of amazing friends. Most have lives. Kids. Their own stuff to do. Everyone is busy and that's great.

And then we try to make plans and they fall apart. Usually, there's a conflict because guess who has a game to broadcast or a class to teach or a conference to moderate, or a show to host?

I'm not exactly brooding over this fact. I'm, factually, not a big party guy. I never have been. I tend to hide in the corner.

But I found myself sitting here on a gloomy Friday night pondering what to scribble down in this dark little corner of my world and, well, here we are.

I'm sure there's a podcast or something else I can do.

I'll probably watch Mary McCartney's documentary on Disney about Abbey Road Studios. 

Her father -- you know, the guy from the overrated Beatles -- made a few songs there.

It's called If These Walls Could Sing and I'll be here if you need me.

No comments: