Friday, December 09, 2022

It's Almost Go Time

 


It's late and I have a broadcast tomorrow.

As I've just returned from a family gathering, I'm short on time to write too much this evening and that's probably a good thing.

So let's do it like this:

Fairfield Prep vs. Greenwich

CIAC Class LL State Championship Football Game

Sat, Dec 9, 2022, 5:30 p.m.

Pratt and Whitney Stadium at Rentschler Field, East Hartford, CT

1490 am near Greenwich

wgch.com or robcasting.mixlr.com

I take this whole thing seriously.

There are two teams -- two towns -- who will be listening and relying on what Chris Erway and I present via the radio.

These are two teams -- again, two towns -- that I know fairly well.

At one time or another, I've been a play-by-play announcer for each school.

Some listeners will be happy and some won't.

I can't control any of that.

What I can control is myself. I can call the game as I've called state championship games since 2000.

Then 2001.

Then 2002.

Then 2004.

Then 2006 and 2007.

Then non-Greenwich state championship football games in 2013 and 2014.

Oh, and there were more Greenwich football championships in 2017 and 2018.

And allow me to say I did Greenwich and Fairfield Prep in hockey a few years ago.

So, yes, I've got some experience with title games. That doesn't mean I won't have some good nerves rolling around tomorrow.

I don't walk in with expectations. I don't throw titles around like "voice of the championships." No, I'm doing one game. I'm the lead play-by-play announcer and on-site engineer as well as a producer of the Class LL broadcast on WGCH Radio.

But I can tell you I'll feel a certain level of overwhelmed as the music begins around 5:20 tomorrow for the pregame.

Shawn Sailer will be along to do some stats and enjoy the journey.

Chris, Shawn, and I will laugh. A lot. On the air and off.

But the stars will be in red, white, and black with maybe some gold (depending on which uniforms the teams wear tomorrow).

The players. The coaches. They're the stars.

By probably 8:30 tomorrow night there will be a champion.

Sometime after that, we'll assess the broadcast and, I don't mind saying, might raise a toast as well to a remarkable season of football broadcasts.

But that's all for later.

Now?

Time for bed.

Then the final preparation.

Then into the car.

Football tomorrow.

We'll give you a good show regardless of who wins.

Join us on the radio and the internet for the broadcast.

No comments: