Tuesday, December 06, 2022

It's Been a Day

 

I'm going to need this

Sleep? Bah! What's that?

Toss. Turn. Repeat.

Then get up, make myself look presentable, and get on the road.

First stop: Stratford and CSB.

I taught my radio sports class, including having students create a sports report and present them to me.

The goal is to have them understand they can really do this and not have them run out of the class screaming.

That is unless they're screaming about how brilliant the instructor is.

In the meantime, my inner stress about Saturday's Fairfield Prep/Greenwich game continued to build. Chris Erway and I continued to message each other in a form of therapy.

In my best Han Solo inner monologue, I had a bad feeling about it.

Watching me as I ate breakfast

With class complete, it was on to phase two: basketball at Brunswick. But first, I stopped at home. I had enough time to devour some delicious turkey soup and do a few things around the house.

While there, the phone rang with a number I didn't recognize.

In short, it was John Holt, media contact for the CIAC, with the news I was waiting to hear: Chris and I are going to East Hartford!

State championship, here we come!

I've asked Shawn Sailer to join us so that our WGCH team will be three-strong for the big game.

John has had to deal with a few of my questions and has been nothing but patient and gracious. This was the first time we'd ever spoken in person (even if it was via phone) and I'm happy to say that there was some confusion that had me thinking that we wouldn't be allowed to carry the game.

But not only are we allowed but John was pleased that we'd be there.

I'm overjoyed to say that's been resolved and we'll be with you at 5:20 Saturday afternoon for our brief pregame show. The kickoff is expected to be in the air at 5:30. 

Me being me, the idea of doing more games rolled around in my skull but I'll quit while I'm ahead. Chris Erway would likely throw me out the window of the car as we buzz up I-91.

We'll put all that we have into our final football call of 2022 and we thank John, the CIAC, and our friends from both Greenwich and Fairfield Prep for their support.

Tim Daly

Oh yeah, so basketball after that. Brunswick won with ease today on a day in which the Wick athletic community needed a victory.

Brunswick baseball assistant coach Tim Daly, well-known and beloved around Greenwich and Stamford, died earlier today.

On a personal level, I got to know Tim through his coaching baseball at Brunswick. He was smart, funny, kind, and patient (at least with me) as I'd amble into the dugout looking for a lineup.

"It's on the wall, Rob," I'd hear him say. Or he was writing it up. Or he didn't have it yet.

It's a gut-punch to people at Brunswick and around town as Tim was much too young and the impact is just awful.

My condolences to his fellow coaches, Wayne McGillicuddy and head coach Johnny Montanez as well as his loved ones and the many players he has affected. My heart hurts for Brunswick baseball, as well as the Stamford American Legion team that he coached because that leadership means so much to those involved.

So, while the Bruins basketball game was the focus for me, the news of Tim Daly's passing was hovering.

Dewey defeats Truman?

Aaron Judge became a member of the San Francisco Giants while I was calling the game. At least that's what the news said with sources that I trusted.

Then, barely a minute later, the story was retracted. 

Sadly, I reported it during the Brunswick game and had to correct it shortly after. 

I can't even express how much that annoys me.

With basketball over, I raced back downtown in Greenwich where I picked up a wrap for dinner and made my way home.

Job number three awaited!

I'm now on a deposition for the evening. I'm sure my head will regret the decision to do this eventually when my eyes begin to weigh shut, especially as Rascal snores right behind me.

But I haven't worked enough in that world recently so I felt it was a good night to get some work and keep hustling.

That's the theme of the day: hustling.

Get to Stratford. Pick up breakfast on the way.

Come back to Greenwich. Grab a cup of coffee at home.

Hustle to Brunswick. No, really, I hustled, and only got there maybe a half-hour before basketball.

Run back home and pick up dinner in the process.

Now, I sit here, working and writing this post.

All in a day I suppose.

Oh, and I'm prepping for, no pun intended, Prep and Greenwich.

First, hockey tomorrow!

But did I mention we're doing the state championship?

All is right in the world indeed.

No comments: