Wednesday, April 20, 2022

We're Gonna Get Hi, Hi, Hi

 


I like heights. No, really, I do. I like a protected observation deck.

It's things like ladders and grated stairwells that I struggle with.

And then there's the top of St. Paul's Cathedral.

Oh, for you Yanks, it's the place where Chuck and Di were married 40 plus years ago.

*****

We got our London on today.

For day one (or night one) we did a two-mile walking tour that allowed us to see Buckingham Palace and Westminster Abbey and Big Ben and so on.

Today started with breakfast before heading to the IoD, where tomorrow's conference -- you know, the reason for the trip -- is taking place.

We got a tour of the facility and the rooms will be using.

Then we walked. I've heard we walked somewhere around six miles today.

First up was the Abbey.

You know, a place where construction began in 1245. No biggie.

Time was tight so we couldn't see everything but we certainly saw a lot.

We had to get over to Churchill's War Rooms for timed tickets that Chris had booked for us.

Again, in case I haven't mentioned everyone (and to make sure Erik Boender gets mentioned), Chris and Scott have led a party that includes me, Anthony (my roomie), Walker, Erik (getting mentioned twice), and Mike. Great crew and great friends.

But I'm the one who goofed with Churchill. His war rooms (formerly known as the Cabinet War Rooms) make up one of my favorite museums.

Ever.

Well, in the 22 years since I've been here, they've added a whole museum on Sir Winston Churchill himself. It was a bad rabbit hole and, suddenly, I discovered that basically everyone was gone. Oh, and since the war rooms are below ground cell service is less than desirable.

So I was the last one to make my way out.

From there, we took the tube to a pub where we all wanted steaks. But there was a problem: they had exactly two steaks left. I was offered one and felt the right thing to do was decline.

But.

If you know me, you know my picky food concerns. Still, I was game (when in Rome, er, London) to try the steak and kidneys.

Kidney beans (no thanks)?

Kidneys? Er...wait...kidneys?

Yes. Kidneys.

I'll simply leave at this: the less I say, the better.

We moved onto to St. Paul's Cathedral (construction began on this in 1675). While time wouldn't allow us to really tour it, including the fascinating crypt, it did allow us to climb to the top of the dome.

Five-hundred-twenty-six steps. No elevator.

Climb.

Climb.

Climb.

I cursed my colleagues out a few times for getting me to follow along.

We reached the top. But, no, that wasn't the top.

The top -- the Golden Gallery -- meant climbing higher, on narrow, grated stairs no less.

I took my time. I paused as needed.

I questioned my sanity.

I had the advantage of the woman in front of me who also needed to stop and catch her breath.

I was happy to take a photo of her and her son when we reached the top. 

But the top was narrow, window, and didn't quite feel as secure.


I took a few quick pictures and began the walk back downstairs. I considered kissing the ground when I reached the ground floor.

The rest of the day included stuffing badges with the guys and a fun dinner with perhaps the best fish and chips I've ever had.

Plus we laughed. I like to laugh.

Along the way, I texted pictures of the dome of St. Peter's to both Susan and Sean to let them know what I was able to accomplish. Of particular note was how proud Sean was of me as he's watched me trying to even get leaves out of the gutter back in Mahopac.

It's not pretty.

OK, game on tomorrow. I have to put my professional moderator hat on so sleep is needed.

Another long day awaits.

No comments: