Sunday, April 10, 2022

Runs, Hits, Errors. LOTS of Errors

 


It's almost like "Where's Waldo?"

Spot the mistakes in the "Exit 55" post.

I can edit. I actually thought I'd once make a good editor but was told that to do so I'd have to drive to an office further away for money that wouldn't make up the difference of the gas and wear.

It was good logic and I was grateful.

Of course, I wound up being forced to drive to that same office eventually. I suppose that's a story for another time as I'm digressing wildly.

So, yes, I think I can edit though I'm probably wrong.

And, yes, I think I can edit my own work. Still, for one reason or another, things get missed. I do read each post but admittedly I don't roll through them with the finest of fine-tooth combs.

Thus there are spelling mistakes and poor word choices and grammatical errors and punctuation boo-boos.

Most damming (my opinion) are factual errors. I'm hopeful that those are minimal to non-existent here. Sure, I offer opinions, and those, frankly, aren't wrong. They're just opinions. But things that I present as facts? No, that's a big deal to me if it's wrong.

Of course, you might be surprised to learn that my confidence as a writer was basically destroyed just about a decade ago. 

Still, every time I get annoyed at myself -- most recently 10 minutes ago, thus the impetus for this post -- I read some "big time" publication.

You know, respectable websites that you expect to be perfect.

And then I see the same mistakes at places that you'd think would be edited much more competently than some dope who wakes up in a recliner to write a thousand words on a baseball doubleheader before going to bed.

It actually makes me feel a little better when I spot these errors. Not that I wish on anyone but it's a good reminder that we're all flawed.

Given my constant pursuit of trying -- and failing -- to be "perfect," I appreciate the reminder.

I have a couple of people who read every post. No, really, every post. Those poor people.

Still, they are de facto editors who read for content but not necessarily the nuts and bolts.

I get alerted to any big issues.

Still, it's me who goes back and reads -- sometimes days or even years later -- and discovers the errors. Then I'm horrified. Probably mortified also.

But it will have to do.

The old saying about "wanting something done you have to do it yourself" is a good rule of thumb. We're responsible for ourselves. So I have to be mindful of the posts just as I have to keep an eye and ear on broadcasts.

It's not uncommon for me to be found with my phone to my ear confirming that Local Live looks and sounds OK or that Robcasting or WGCH are clear.

I basically do it with any outlet that I work on.

Call it my own quality control.

Yet, there simply isn't perfection.

So happy mistake hunting! Keep an eye out for the guy with the glasses and the red and white stripes!

No comments: