Thursday, April 21, 2022

Behind the Scenes Before the Conference

 


Greetings from the (John) Nash Room of the IoD -- the Institute of Directors -- in London.

Quite a place. 

It's just past 7 a.m. here in jolly ol' England and, well, Sean Adams is sound asleep at 2 a.m. in New York.

But, for me, it's getting close to showtime for our conference.

This is the runup. It's time for setting up the badges, making sure the room looks good, and go through any last-minute concerns.

In truth, that's for Mike Hawkins, who is truly running this show. Obviously, Chris, Scott, Walker, Anthony, and even Erik (now I'm just busting on him) are all crucial pieces of this team.

Me? I try to stay out of the way and help where I'm needed. Then I do what I do: I talk. I might mispronounce something and I'll receive appropriate grief for it.

But it's time to keep the conference moving and be a pro.

In these last minutes, I review the script and try to meet the A/V team for checking the mics and any technical concerns. But I'm also a huge believer in recognizing those behind the scenes.

My opening remarks are at 8:30 a.m. (3:30 a.m. in New York). 

This is my "just in case" post. As in just in case the day gets away from us and I don't have time to add more. I'm trying hard to keep this post-per-day madness alive!

No comments: