Friday, April 15, 2022

Bossy, Seaver, and More

 


I woke up to the news that Mike Bossy has died.

While I'm a New York Rangers fan, I never had the energy to hate the New York Islanders. In fact, I was into the Islanders as they made their run to four Stanley Cups in the early 1980s.

The Rangers team that made a run to the Cup final in 1979 was the first one I took note of. Then, of course, came the 1980 Olympics.

A few months later, Bobby Nystrom scored the overtime game-winner to bring the Stanley Cup to Hempstead Turnpike.

Those Islanders teams were dominant in so many ways with Bryan Trottier and Clark Gillies and Dennis Potvin (I feel like I've heard that name at Madison Square Garden), and Billy Smith...

and Mike Bossy.

Suddenly, today's news had channel 9 on TV and Jiggs McDonald calling the action. Isles/Flyers? Isles/North Stars? Isles/Nordiques? Games of a lifetime ago for a boy still learning the game with Mike Bossy scoring the goals.

He became my favorite. Number 22 was a sharpshooter who joined an exclusive club when he scored his 50th goal in 50 games in Jan 1981.

His career was over due to injuries by 1988 when he was just 30. Obviously a Hall of Famer, the team retired his uniform number. He was Islanders -- and hockey -- royalty.

I'm truly saddened by his passing.

*****


A few miles from when the Islanders play now, another sports god was rightfully and finally honored correctly.

The Tom Seaver statue was unveiled today outside of Citi Field.

Someone asked me just how good Seaver was. The easiest way to explain it is that no player has ever approached Seaver for the greatest ever in Mets history.

That's not an exaggeration. Yes, his nickname was "The Franchise" but it was so deserving. He was -- is -- everything to the Mets.

And, yet, go read the history of just how many times they dropped the ball with number 41. Start with the trade to the Reds where, one year later, he threw a no-hitter. But today isn't the time for that. The Mets -- specifically, the Wilpon family -- took far too long to get the statue erected.

Still, it's there today and I'm glad.

You couldn't possibly hate Seaver.

How good was he? There were times he was literally it. Oh, sure, the Mets had Jerry Koosman and Jon Matlack but Seaver was next-level.

He was dominant. He was devastating.

Rookie of the Year. Three Cy Young Awards. Seven more Cy Young Top 10 finishes. All of the accolades.

Just don't ask a Mets fan about Seaver and the 1973 World Series.

But Tom was Terrific.

I'm glad the Mets -- credit to owner Steve Cohen -- righted the wrong today.

*****

Opportunity knocks again. Just when the business begins to beat me down, I get something out of the blue.

Tomorrow, I'll call Manhattanville College baseball as they host Fairfield University at Clover Stadium in Pomona, NY. It's an easy trip across the Hudson River for me to do this one.

I'm grateful for the chance.

Game time was Noon but has been moved back to 11 a.m.

*****

I won't panic...yet...but take a quick glance at the weather for this coming Tuesday.

That's all I'm going to say.

No comments: