Monday, September 27, 2021

National Son's Day


(Apparently, National Son's Day is tomorrow. Forgive me for getting ahead of things.)

It's another day in the myriad collection of DAYS, so deemed by the mythical orator of all things days, her high priestess herself, Doris Day.

Or maybe it's Hallmark. I'm not sure.

Anyway, today is National Son's Day. 

By this point, I figured you would have tired of my writing about Sean but I'll take the risk that I haven't overplayed that hand.

Admittedly, an already close relationship was strengthened by 61 baseball broadcasts. It was a concern for sure that he wouldn't enjoy working so closely with me. I worried (something I'm good at) that I would somehow make him dread it.

Still, by the end, he told me how much he loved it and when the chance came to join me in Brooklyn for the one road game he called, he jumped at it. 

After it was all over, he stayed for the postgame gathering, even standing on the field with me at one point, just talking about...stuff.


I've seen him grow. I've seen life exploding in front of his eyes. I've seen him embrace the good and the bad and deal with the frustrations of being part of an organization.

Yet when we had a chance to take a break, we took it together, heading to North Carolina. So he wasn't too tired of me.

I always appreciate his honesty and his willingness to yell at me occasionally (mostly for my own good).

I also appreciate those small, unscripted things when he says something and it really counts. He says he likes my home run calls.

Look, I want him to be his own man and I'm happy that he's working on striking that balance. He had friends join us one night and they wanted "The Big Man" (me) to join them for dinner. The next time they went, I declined. They didn't need to have the old man join them. 

It's healthy.

He was here on Sunday and decided to go to the movies with his friends. I stayed home. He stopped and picked up a pizza on the way home. It was great. 

Challenges and storm clouds are rising. They'll also rise. That's just life. I'm trying to help advise and be his dad. I've fostered an atmosphere that allows him to feel comfortable talking to me about anything, even if he mostly keeps to himself.

I said years ago that I wouldn't be like so many single dads that are happy to simply be "the weekend dad." I lament the lost time -- a theme of my life.

But it's all turned out OK. He says he'd very much like to go back to the Renegades next year, especially if I'm there. 

Oh, that day is coming and I know it. That day where he's not going to hit the road with me. But, for now, we're happy to be the partners in crime that we are. But things are changing. I can count on him when I need it.

I don't need National Son's Day to salute Sean. For me, it's been National Son's Day for almost 20 years. 

I'm happy for any excuse to salute him.

A happy National Son's Day to all.

Sean and cousin Evelyn in North Carolina.


No comments: