Friday, September 17, 2021

Life Goes On

And I say, "It's all right."

There is, after all, a morning after*.

While the sun hasn't appeared yet on this gloomy Friday morning, it's still light out. Thus we must assume, life goes on.

*Saying "a morning after" calls to mind a song, which makes me think of the new (supposed) "500 Greatest Songs" as deemed by Rolling Stone. It's quite humorous. If Missy Elliott is in the top ten, can Weird Al Yankovic also be there? Napoleon XIV? Asking for a friend, of course. Beyond that, I don't have the energy to expand on it. They did it for clicks. Mission accomplished. Google it and enjoy.

OK, back to this Friday morning. Yes, indeed, the Renegades lost last night and there won't be playoffs at Dutchess Stadium. The pragmatist in me sees where it would have been a major inconvenience to drive to Kentucky next week for the championship series, along with cost, etc. I also wouldn't have to dance through issues for Greenwich football or "The Clubhouse" or Dan and Craig and depos and making money and anything else.

On the other hand, it would have been fun. So, there's that.

But the bigger point to this morning's malaise is to snap out of it and realize that there are still three GLORIOUS days and nights remaining at Dutchess Stadium! Look, we've rolled through 57 games. We've (mostly) had fun and for the things that haven't been fun, well, we learn from them, try to do better, and make them into stories.

As I wrote the other day (which maybe 10 of you read) I'm going to soak it all in. My emotions will be wrung out by Sunday night. I'm so proud and overjoyed at this journey and will begin looking forward to 2022.

But, no, not yet. Save that post for Sunday night or Monday morning or whatever. Save all of it for then.

Because there are three more games left.

Tomorrow? Oh, tomorrow will be a beast as I go from Mahopac to Stamford for Greenwich/Ridgefield, then leave it in Chris Erway's trusty hands, then fly to Dutchess Stadium, and call Gades/Hoppers.

That's why I laugh at those who boast about one thing or another on the social webs. You've done "x" number of games in how many days? We all have our own stories, bub.

This could lead me to a whole rant about the narcissism in my profession among those desperate for attention but why sully this morning with that when we know it already exists?

No. We're going to focus on the Renegades and my son and my friends at the stadium and enjoy the moment with an eye towards whatever awaits. After Sunday the focus will turn to football and soccer and water polo and anything else.

Then hockey and basketball and maybe even wrestling.

And...then? As Brunswick/Greenwich/Mahopac/Carmel/the FCIAC wrap up their winter season, we'll be glancing towards April 8 as the Gades and Drive meet in Greenville.

Oh, wait. Did I also mention that Hunt Scanlon gave me a conference schedule that will -- GASP! -- have me missing a few Gades games to go to London?

No. Stop it, Rob. Focus on now!

OK, let's stay in the moment. Greensboro. Hudson Valley. 

Tonight.

Tomorrow.

And Sunday.

No comments: