Sunday, September 19, 2021

Game Over

 

It's over.

Sixty games.

It's been a marathon.

It's been a sprint.

It's gone by in a blur.

It feels like we've been doing it forever.

Yet, here we are, at the end of the 2021 season. 

No playoffs. No championship. Just one game and good night.

My emotions are all over the place today. Gratitude, sadness, joy. I'll look forward a little but will mostly save that for after it's really over.

I know I don't want it to end. It's baseball. I never want it to end. But I can leave knowing that, unless things change, I'll be back in 2022 and I can't wait already.

Still, there was magic from 2021 that can never be replaced.

The walk-off wins. The no-hitter. The home runs. The personalities.

The friends I've made. The innocence of it all.

The raw emotions I felt on various nights.

The night I felt wobbly and fought through it, not saying a word to anyone.

The anger at the word "lineups."

And, of course, my rallying cry: "Just get through '21." That's my way of saying that I hope to be a stronger voice in the organization. That I can sculpt "my booth" a little more.

I've got ideas because I know we can be better but I'd like to be able to run my little corner of the world.

I'm grateful to every person that came to the stadium -- whether I had anything to do with it or not. I feel blessed to know that some did come specifically because I was I there. Some didn't even visit me while others did.

But, for now, I need to enjoy this one last day.

Forgive me if I choke up.

It's been an unforgettable journey.

No comments: