Sunday, February 02, 2020

Super Bowl Sunday

Bradshaw to Franco in Super Bowl XIII
Well, here we are.

The food is being prepared. The TV is ready.

Millions -- more? -- have been spent on advertising, wings, pizza, merchandise, and so on.

It's Super Bowl Sunday.

Somewhere, between a crappy halftime show (it's now tradition to say so, even just to tick John Nash off) and an orgy of everything else (including a healthy level of ambivalence), we'll get a football game. And, hopefully, that game won't suck as much as Shakira and Jenny From The Block.

Or Maroon 5 (I had to and, yes, they still suck).

Regarding the halftime show, it's long past my time. It's not done for my musical taste (which is actually fairly vast).

We'll eventually have a country one that will make me contemplate my life as I sit with my rifle while sipping on a Bud long neck with a blonde wearing a cowboy hat in a denim skirt and a dog nearby. Not that country features the same themes or anything.
 The pregame show is already 45 minutes in. So long as they get the sponsors, they'll keep the show that long, or longer.

Like I said, it's an orgy.

I've just that I've gotten older. I don't feel the same way about it, and haven't for years. There's a sad level of overkill. Do I need a Saturday night awards show? No, and I didn't watch it. Your mileage may vary.

So I'll watch the game. I've even fallen asleep during it (like the last one in Miami, featuring the most overrated halftime show. Yup, I said it. Oooohhh...he played Purple Rain...in the RAIN!).

For the record, I've vacillated over the best halftime show. I'm starting to think it was U2 because it was sort of the right mix that was needed in the months after Sep 11, 2001. But I also loved Paul McCartney because, well, it's Paul. Mc. Cart. Ney.

But I'd sill take Up With People back. Or literally any marching band

Oh, I'm getting way off track here. Wait, there's a game to be played, right?

OK. I keep coming back to defensive football. The Steelers -- remember them, they're still tied for the most ever titles, with six -- won mostly on defense. Their offense played great in Super Bowl XIII (hence the picture at top) but it was their defense that won most of their titles.

They shut down the Vikings in Super IX.
The Cowboys scored 17 in X.
As I said, XIII was more of a shootout (35-31, and leave Jackie Smith out of it).
They found enough offense to put up 31 in XIV.
They allowed just 10 to the Seahawks in XL (and they 'Hawks are still crying about it).
James Harrison had a 100-yard pick six in XLIII.

Defense. I'd love to see Patrick Mahomes run wild for the Chiefs to garner the spirit of 65 toss power trap and grab their first Super Bowl title since 1970. But I suspect the Niners, who I'm sure bought extra wine (and whine) and cheese, will have their defense playing great.

Now, if Jimmy G has to throw the ball, then they might be in trouble. And if Mahomes can get going, then who knows?

Chico is very deep in thought on the Yankees blanket.
 But, for now, Chico the large gray cat says: "Niners 27, Chiefs 23." He's put a lot of thought into it.

Incidentally, six Steelers' titles, and not one defensive MVP. Franco Harris in IX, Lynn Swann in X, Terry Bradshaw in XIII and XIV, Hines Ward in XL, and Santonio Holmes (should have been Ben Roethlisberger but no way Roger Goodell would allow that) in XLIII.

Fire up the trivia machine. Get ready for useless facts!

The world of hating Joe Buck shall have their day of reckoning and I'll mock all of you for it!

And then?

Hockey...basketball...some other stuff...and...

BASEBALL! Pitchers and catchers are getting ready for spring training.

Enjoy the game and whatever else is around it.

No comments: