Thursday, February 27, 2020

Magnificent

Part of the scene at the FCIAC championship tonight
I took the headset off and the first thing that came to my mind was "wow."

Just wow.

Ridgefield had just beaten Staples to win the FCIAC girls basketball championship in double overtime 50-46.

I had all but lost my voice (I think I have a small cold that's in my throat unfortunately).

But I was still bowled over by the four lead changes and five ties between the fourth quarter and overtime.

I was just stunned at each clutch shot that the Tigers and Wreckers hit.

I fight off the "instant classic" culture all the time but, really, how can this one not be considered a classic?

Two coaches working hard. Two teams busting up and down the floor. Two student cheering sections making Trumbull High School sound like it's overflowing.

It was just wonderful to be a part of it, calling it on Local Live (and Robcasting).

That's why there are nerves. Even in the game, you reset to make sure everything is clear in your mind. Grandma is watching in Florida. An uncle is tuning in from California. Coaches parents are in New Jersey. Fans are huddled around in Westport and Ridgefield.

It's not about me. Never is. But in that spot, where fans and loved ones will save the video (or audio), the words and pictures matter.

So regroup. Find a voice. Check your notes. And call it.

And borrow from Mike Breen (all due respect to the Hall of Famer).

Katie Flynn. Left side. A three.

Bang.


Check this out on Chirbit


Then, after two extra sessions, the Tigers are able to celebrate. Kate Wagner was named the Most Valuable Player.


Check this out on Chirbit

Just great stuff. Incidentally, Ridgefield coach Rob Colony's reaction is wonderful. I love how he backs off and watches his team enjoy the moment.

You did well tonight, FCIAC. Give a listen to the whole game if you want.



A last note: thanks to the wonderful reviews that came my way. When you basically live game to game, those comments mean the world. And, while I wish I didn't feel like I should say this, feel free to spread the word! More games!

2 comments:

Chris Flynn said...

Thank you Rob. You did justice to a great basketball game. A classic.

H McClellan said...

This is a wonderful, touching and apt post. Thanks so much for putting in the work to make this a terrific call.