Thursday, February 06, 2020

Another One of Those Nights

A couple of bums: Lou Gehrig and Babe Ruth.
Welp.

I'm having one of those nights.

I'm tired and light on ideas to write about, so I'm just going to throw a few words together and move onto tomorrow.

Babe Ruth was born 125 years ago today in Baltimore, MD.

To me, he's the best ever. I get the knocks, but I think greatness overcomes that.

In short, Ruth would have adjusted. He was a beast of a player. A freak.

The numbers are still insane. The myths are incredible but the facts are almost too good to believe.

The scary thing is how, if he had taken care of himself and behaved a little better from, say 1924-1926, his numbers would be even scarier. Plus, consider if he wasn't the best left-handed pitcher in baseball from 1915-1919.

For instance, an "off year" for Ruth was 1922, when GHR hit .315 with 35 home runs and 96 RBIs. Or 1925: .290, 25, 67.

So I'm sticking with Ruth.

Give me a chance to start a team and Ruth will be my first pick every time.

After calling hockey yesterday from the Local Live command center in Stamford off a small video monitor, I'm back at a live game tomorrow as Brunswick basketball returns to action.

I'll see you then.

No comments: