Thursday, June 10, 2021

Thursday nonsense

 

Maybe Gare and Keith should wear a tux to every broadcast. 
Even July in St. Louis when it's 100 degrees.
Sure.

It's not worth it.

I know that.

So, why care?

Why does it matter if a conversation in the Facebook play-by-play group got under my skin?

Because I have little patience for such self-righteousness.

Honestly, do you care if I call a good game, or do you think I sound better when I'm decked out in a suit? That's a minimalistic way of looking at what the topic was and I knew it was heading that way when I saw it was posted.

For the 34th time, as a favorite poster/fellow admin of mine said.

Yes, he was exaggerating, and, yes, members are perfectly fine to post it, but then don't complain the next time Joe Buck comes up or what's the best streaming service to use or some other topic that has been broached 34 times or so.

But I have to keep most of it under control so my outlet for growling is friends and here, without going overboard.

No, I don't broadcast better or worse depending on how I dress, nor do I think anything goes in a booth. That was another exaggeration of the conversation. Not a soul thought that "T-shirts and ratty jeans" are appropriate (and I probably saw that roughly 34 times).

It became like a dog with a bone but I had to bite my tongue. For one thing, I'm an admin. For another, I knew I'd lose my marbles if I opened up.

Someone had to remain calm.

I've never judged a broadcaster on a first impression based on clothes. I base things on performance, attitude, reliability, respect, and accountability.

To be clear -- I know, a hard concept -- I think neat and appropriate is perfectly fine. I think the topic also isn't a black and white issue. What one does in the NBA where they show up and call the game is one thing. They have an engineer for the dirty work.

What I do, where I'm often crawling around filthy press boxes with sweat dripping off of me as I try to engineer and troubleshoot broadcasts, is another.

What I do at Dutchess Stadium, where there is no air conditioning or heat in the radio booth, is entirely different.

Hopefully, nobody had a problem with me last night at "The Clubhouse" where it felt like the air conditioner was turned off. I wore shorts and my Renegades polo as I crawled around plugging in wires and troubleshooting issues. Sweat poured off of me and I mopped my face at times.

I follow the guidance of my employers. If they tell me they want me dressed a certain way, I'll do that. I do as I'm told.

However, here's an example. It's Dec 2013 and HAN has a football playoff game to call in West Haven. I go in warm but appropriate clothes. Then, on my way to Bridgeport to join a Sound Tigers hockey broadcast that night, I pull into a rest area and change.

The Sound Tigers mandated a jacket and tie. They got it.

I've got news for you: the quality of the two broadcasts was no different. My respect for the rules was no different either.

Do you get a sense of how utterly inane and self-righteous this thread was?

Let me further clarify: I've done many games in khakis and polo or button-down shirts. I've done games in a sweater. I've done games in a suit jacket. I've done games in a tie. I've done games in a suit. I've done games in jeans. I've done games in shorts.

I've been underdressed for the weather and overdressed for the weather. When I did the Delaware Valley youth games back in April, I had to add layers -- including (GASP!) a hoodie. The options were freeze and shiver or try to warm up.

The point: I've always looked neat and professional and appropriate and nobody has told me otherwise.

In the long run, what several users were trying to say was you do you and let others worry about themselves.

Nobody's saying dress like a bum.

But many -- me included -- are saying stop judging people.

Especially in 2021. It's bad form.

I have more problems with broadcasters who appear to be above criticism and promise coverage, only to no-show without explanation. It happens too often with no repercussion.

That's the disrespectful and unprofessional side of our craft.

That's more troubling to me than someone showing up in a pair of jeans.

Or, heavens to Murgatroyd, a hoodie.

No comments: