Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Masked?


 

El Fenómenos Enmascarados del Valle de Hudson will debut tonight at Dutchess Stadium. Now, don't take that as some great rebranding. It's simply an alternate personality for the night, as the Renegades de...er...of Hudson Valley will be decked out in special uniforms while honoring Hispanic/Latino cultures and values.

I'm intrigued. The hats -- a huge seller from what I've seen -- have been available since late 2019.

Yet that's only part of why I'm here. Earlier today, I went to the car dealer for service.

Understand I have not done that in years.

I have trust issues, friends. But, nonetheless, there were things that I felt could be done best at the dealer so I went there.

In their seating area were signs that made it clear that masks were supposed to be worn.

"No exceptions," the sign read.

I looked around.

I glanced at those waiting. I looked at the staff. 

No masks.

Sigh.

Earlier in the week I went to one of the local grocery stores. Again the sign outside the door made it clear! "Masks must be worn in the store."

I put mine on and walked in.

I spied the checkout area where nobody -- staff included -- had a mask on.

I realize this is not an enormous hardship and it's probably just a matter of staff neglecting to remove the signs or leaving them juuuuuust in case.

But I suppose it highlights the current phase of awkward communication on that topic. I'm basically open to shaking hands and even hugging again. There was no clarity in a Dunkin Donuts (yes, I still call it that) that I was in the other day. The staff had them on. A few customers had them on. Another customer didn't. Some coming into the store put theirs on.

As I stepped up to order my large coffee with cream and sugar, I decided to put mine on. Call it respect.

*****

One other thing I want to hit today is the bold and courageous move of Carl Nassib. Honestly, my statement is no more profound than that. I applaud him. Love is love and he should be himself. I hope he finds support in that people treat him like Carl. 

As opposed to Carl the gay player.

To be honest, that was my reaction. I saw the news and, mostly, shrugged my shoulders. Not out of disrespect or anything else. In fact, quite the contrary. It's so great that he is now his authentic self.

So good for him.

Sadly, I do understand there are countless others who aren't as cavalier about that news as I am and that's where the issue is.

But you be you, Carl. 

No comments: