Friday, September 08, 2023

What Year is it?

 


It's Connecticut's turn.

There were a few football games in the state last night.

More are scheduled for tonight though the heat and thunderstorms are messing with those plans.

But I'm listening to Jeff Alterman and Sawyer Nicholas (and now Mike Buswell) on the TEN Network as they call Trumbull/Hamden and the season is rolling.

Here, it's almost time.

Roughly 16 hours.

Fairfield Prep at Greenwich.

I'm trying to figure out how to view this season, not that it matters. You see, my first Cardinals football broadcast was in late 1999 when I was a sideline reporter (against Fairfield Prep). Does that mean, if you do the math, that this is my 25th year?

Is it 24 because I became the lead play-by-play announcer in 2000?

But then, do we subtract 2020 due to COVID, even though I did do one of the 7-on-7 games that year?

And then, what about HAN Network? I did two years there, including some GHS games.

So, yeah. Twenty-five then?

I guess it's all in how you look at it. Either way, I suppose it's an achievement to have that kind of consistency though I often think it's held against me in that some think I'm "the Greenwich guy." That's why the state ignores the work that we've done on WGCH (and elsewhere).

Actually, I'm "the guy who will show up and call any game" but, yeah, Greenwich is home.

Greenwich High and Brunswick.

And I'll do both once again. 

But, in truth, if I can get other games in, I'd do it. 

I could do the game right now. Despite all of the calls to be as prepared as possible, I've done what I can do. I have rosters for both teams but do I trust them? Not really but I won't until the game starts.

Will I feel better before 1:50 tomorrow afternoon? I hope so.

I've talked to the people I want to talk to. I'll talk to more tomorrow at Cardinal Stadium.

I'll get there at a time that I hope isn't too early but is certainly early enough to set up and feel comfortable. That will then allow me to visit the field, maybe even walk out to the tailgate, and take a deep breath.

Chris Erway and I will call the hell out of it, in part because we both feel a little challenged, and that's not something to do to us.

But I know me. I can still remember that first game when it was mine to be lead broadcaster in 2000. It was Norwalk at Greenwich and I was nervous. I knew the legacy that I was stepping into and I wanted to be good.

Now, all these years later, I can only hope I've upheld my part of that legacy.

But, again, I know me. I'll be nervous tomorrow. I always am before the first Greenwich football game.

They're good nerves for sure. Why me, to be honest? Why am I the one who has driven this bus for years? I don't want to screw it all up. I do honestly have to remind myself that I've earned this position.

Am I ready? Is the equipment good? Does the audience enjoy us? Are we giving enough detail? How does it all sound?

All of this -- and more -- will roll through my skull tomorrow.

I feel a responsibility. I feel I have to be good. Or better.

Right around 12:49 p.m. will be a tsunami of emotions with nervousness evaporating into pride.

Then? Start talking.

I want kids to hear us and say "I want to be like that."

Heck, I just heard today how we've essentially intimidated others simply through our broadcasts. 

Honestly, it's not the first time I've heard this but I don't like when it impacts what we do.

Can you imagine? Intimidating? Me?!

But it just makes us stronger. It's why we jokingly say "1-2-3 dominate" sometimes before a broadcast.

It's why friends ask to shadow us to watch us work.

The stars, however, will be the kids on the field. Always.

The coaches as well.

The game leads the way. Chris and I -- along with Sean Kilkelly in the studio -- are going to try to make it sound professional.

Across the way will be friends from Fairfield Prep. I'd hope that would be a long relationship there but they've decided to bring their broadcasts in-house and they like using students to lead the way. I have thoughts on that because I believe students should be trained to sound good. After all, they wind up representing their school. 

Either way, Prep has my number.

While I don't work for Greenwich High School, I know how we're viewed, like it or not.

So we'll represent Greenwich and Fairfield Prep well tomorrow. Because that's what we do.

Be listening for the pregame show at 1:50. Please.

Our last year -- from Greenwich/Newtown on Sep 9, 2022, until softball on Staten Island a few weeks ago, produced a wonderful number of broadcasts that I'm so proud of. I want that momentum to roll into this school year.

It's time. Finally.

Talk to you tomorrow as year 25 (maybe?) begins.

No comments: