Wednesday, September 20, 2023

How Dry I Am

 


Let's run through the checklist.

- Notes, rosters, etc.

- Equipment (mixer, headset, microphone cables)

- Extension cord

- Audio cable to run from the mixer to the aux jack

- Snack table

Cool. Now, how's the weather?

A slightly cool breeze (see what I did there?) but, otherwise, warm.

Sunny.

No.

Rain.

Yes, I was back at it with soccer today. While my car seat still hasn't completely dried out, I was able to drive myself to the scene of Monday's deluge.

Brunswick was hosting Loomis Chaffee in a late-afternoon match.

With AJ producing, I knew I was in good hands.

Now, I just had to call the game.

We reached the end of the first half scoreless and the second half just didn't go Brunswick's way.

Final score: Loomis 3, Wick 0.

So, I'm going to assume that Brunswick would prefer games in the rain.

Needless to say, I was much happier with these conditions.

I've adjusted to my new makeshift soccer booth and it's a lot more enjoyable when you're not worrying about the wind taking your equipment away or -- worse -- getting electrocuted.

*****

I'm home and getting my writing done now so that I can shut down and settle down.

It's an early riser for me tomorrow as I jump on a train to head into New York for our first Hunt Scanlon conference of the fall. I have to be at the train station and on Metro-North by 5:17. Yes, a.m.

The script is ready. My notes are ready. I'll confirm anything as needed in the morning.

It's a half-day conference so there's at least a chance that I'll be back home and doing "Doubleheader" by 4 p.m.

Then again, maybe I'll hang out in the city. You never know.

I'll be mighty tired. I can tell you that.

Friday means football and we'll head to Meriden for Greenwich/Maloney.

Then we were supposed to go away on Saturday for the weekend but it looks like the weather may scuttle that plan.

But there might be a Plan B.

To be continued.

No comments: