Tuesday, September 05, 2023

Waffles and Indignation

 

Benson, NC, Aug 2023

First off, and completely random, happy birthday to the GOAT.

Waffle House, of course. 

The first location opened on this day at 2719 East College Avenue in Avondale Estates, Georgia. 

No, I don't know that fact by heart.

That first location is now a museum and it needs to be a quest to visit it. It's outside of Atlanta so I could go see a Braves game (they have a Waffle House concession stand in the stadium) and go see the original shrine, I mean, location.

*****

I don't want this summer to end.

I mean, it's been a blast. It's been an overstuffed calzone-type of fun. Truly, my cup has runneth over and there are still a couple of things to get to before this summer is put to rest completely.

However, can we talk about the heat?

Yuck. That's my statement.

OK, more to the point, I was fairly content with the upper 70s/low 80s during the day and the upper 50s/low 60s at night that we had a few days ago. I mean, open the windows, turn on the fans, and embrace it all!

But we're back in the 90s. It's in the 80s right now.

At 9:24 p.m.

I had put away my air conditioner. I took it back out last night. My electric company will be pleased.

Oh well. It will be cold before we know it and I'll be firmly miserable, so I'll take the heat, I guess.

Even with the high temperatures, Sean and I took a walk into town tonight. It was nice to get the heart pumping and we enjoyed ourselves.

It also gave me some time to grumble to him along with laughing.

The last few days haven't exactly had me fired up for the '23 football season. As I've written, it will pass, and you better believe I'll be fine on Saturday at 1:50 on WGCH.

If not sooner.

But there does come a point where you just feel the outlet you work for -- or even yourself -- has been disrespected and overlooked too many times.

There's also a point where you look in the mirror and say, "It's me."

While it's tempting to just dive in head first and speak my mind, I won't do that tonight. I'll just say opportunities that I think we deserve just roll on by.

It gets a bit depressing after a while.

So that's all. Not to bring things down. Just allowing myself a moment.

I'm just truly proud of most of the work that we've done at every outlet since I started in the business. But I hate what it does to us at times.

With that, I'll plunge back into preparing for Saturday at 1:50, which will air on WGCH.

*****

I was just told by a reader that they were surprised that I didn't mention the passing of Jimmy Buffett here. In truth, I've gotten better at withholding my strong musical opinions (don't worry, Maroon 5 still blows) and I was truly never a big fan. I did, however, see Huey Lewis, Paul McCartney, and several others offer glowing tributes. He seemed like a truly good man with a fanbase that adored him.

But that's the thing about certain fanbases. There's a cult-like quality to some that makes it unattractive to outsiders. A certain snobbery I suppose. That, sadly, can dilute the music.

But Jimmy Buffett seemed like a cool guy.

A tip of the margarita to Jimmy Buffett for many cheeseburgers in paradise. A good time was had by all.

No comments: