Friday, September 15, 2023

In a Better Place

Before tonight's game at Cheshire Academy

 

From time to time, things will bubble up and I will spout.

Like yesterday.

Then it leads to questions.

I will not be taking any questions on the matter.

OK, yes, all is well.

Do you believe me? 

Look, I'm not kidding when I say disrespect will send me over the edge. Yesterday was a high-leverage day with the addition of a new team to my list of broadcasts and I really wanted it to go well. I also had Greenwich football and, most of the time, the multiple games in a day goes great.

Yesterday, the broadcasts went quite well but there was ancillary noise that shouldn't have happened. The fact that it continued on a high-leverage day like yesterday certainly didn't mollify the situation. 

So we live to fight another day.

I'm going to Cheshire later for Cheshire Academy and Brunswick. As I've alluded to, Chris Erway will not be with me on Brunswick broadcasts. The reasons are, essentially, we're too good.

Beyond that, I'll not be taking any questions on the matter.

This business isn't for the weak. It's a constant barrage of egos and rejection and highs and lows and critics.

You're hot. Then you're not. It's a fickle business. It's why I'm always trying to make sure young broadcasters watch their attitudes and arrogance.

Because it will hurt them in the long run. I've seen it.

I try to mentor them even when they don't want it or know it.

And they think I don't like them.

I'm not as dumb as I look.

So, yeah, yesterday was a day that featured highs, lows, and rather cathartic anger and laughter.

Most of all, it featured two broadcasts that made me happy.

Because I'd done my job.

On to the next one.

*****

I've just walked in the door from Cheshire. Brunswick fell behind 20-0 in the second quarter and trailed 20-7 at halftime.

It stayed that way until the fourth quarter when the Bruins got a touchdown from Bryce Davis, who was running all over the place tonight, but could pull no closer. They had a last chance but their fourth turnover of the night ended the evening as Cheshire Academy won 20-14.

I called the game from the crowd (the picture at top) and for the first time in months, I got cold to the point where I was stiff with a sore back as I packed up.

I thought I would be warm enough and, well, not so much.

So onto tomorrow. It's DePaul Catholic and Stepinac football in White Plains. A new experience.

The grind continues.

No comments: