Friday, July 07, 2023

We Knew Them When

 

John Sullivan with me, 2019
One of these guys played in a Super Bowl.
The other one has watched a lot of Super Bowls

Carlos Rodón is on the mound tonight in The Bronx.

You might recall he pitched last Saturday for the Renegades in a rehab start at Heritage Financial Park. I was on public address and my duty doesn't include introducing the starting pitcher normally so I played no role in his evening other than watching him pitch.

But Sean got to see him through his camera. Those pictures were no doubt seen on the YES Network and perhaps MLB Network. Maybe others.

So Sean has the pleasure of being able to say he covered a player who is now in the big leagues.

Obviously, we can both speak of Anthony Volpe and Oswald Peraza and Jhony Brito and Randy Vásquez. Each made it from our broadcasts of 2021 to Yankee Stadium. Ezequiel Duran and Josh Smith both left the Yankees via the Joey Gallo trade (blech) and both made it to the Texas Rangers. Visiting players like Bryson Stott, Brett Baty, and Francisco Álvarez also climbed to the big leagues.

It's good fortune to be in the right place to see these wonderful athletes, dating all the way back to Kevin Shattenkirk and John Sullivan.

I still remember the excitement I felt when Tyler Matakevich was drafted by the Steelers. The former St. Joseph star -- who scored a touchdown in a victory against Greenwich in 2010 -- would become a key cog, especially on special teams. I was so proud that Chris Erway got me a Matakevich Steelers jersey. He's now with the Buffalo Bills but I still like my jersey.

Honestly, these athletes don't have to make the bigs. I just love seeing these athletes keep doing what they love.

I continue to keep an eye on Aaron Sabato, the Brunswick baseball product who was drafted in the first round three years ago by the Twins. He's currently in double-A.

I watch Cornelius Johnson, the Gatorade Player of the Year from Brunswick who is a three-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree at Michigan.

I not only covered Aaron and Cornelius, but I also knew them a little.

There are others from basically each sport I've called since 1999. It's a really cool perk of the job.

I filled in for Manhattan College on a baseball broadcast in April 2022. At shortstop for opposing Fairfield was Colin Kelly.

Colin Kelly homered as part of a 5-2 win for the Stags.

Colin Kelly played baseball and hockey at Greenwich High School.

Yup. I covered him then.

Pretty cool.

Basically, everyone in the business has a story like this. We've all covered those players who stepped to another level. Some have achieved the highest levels, like John Sullivan as well as Cam Atkinson, though Cam didn't play varsity hockey in Greenwich, he's a Greenwich kid who made it to the NFL.

Obviously, I can't possibly name every athlete who has ascended and, to be honest, there are some that we lose track of. 

If this sounds like bragging, well, I guess it's all in how you view it. 

I see it as expressing how lucky I've felt to watch the athletes I've seen. 

They do things that I can barely dream of.

*****

Vito Montelli, the winningest coach in Connecticut basketball history, died earlier today at the age of 92. Amassing 878 wins over 50 seasons at St. Joseph's, he had a firm, gruff exterior with a voice and a handshake that one could never forget.

I covered his teams early in my time at WGCH, handling the call of a Greenwich/St. Joe's in Jan 2000. He was always kind to me and commanded my complete respect. 

He won 11 state championships and walked away after back-to-back titles in 2011 and 2012.

Connecticut and the FCIAC are a little sadder today.

What a legend.

Farewell, coach.

No comments: