Monday, July 10, 2023

Home Before Midnight

 

On the road to baseball today

Two games.

Lots of pitches.

Bethel 14, Shelton 5.

Shelton is eliminated from the tournament.

Then Trumbull 14, Stamford 6.

Stamford's time in the tournament is over.

Both games took over two hours. Hardly obnoxiously long but tough when you have a midnight deadline to write a blog post.

So I made it home as quickly as possible and here I am.

Tomorrow's schedule is Trumbull and Bethel at 5:30 and New Milford and Waterford at 8 p.m.

Fortunately, our issues have been resolved and both games are at Unity Park. At one point, they were both at 8 p.m. at two different sites and I didn't look forward to deciding which game we'd call.

Instead, we're set. We'll be able to call every pitch. That's always my call and I'm very proud when we achieve it.

We've tried tom promote these games but it hasn't been perfect. But they'll be archived and that matters.

The drama is muted slightly because two teams will leave this tournament to go to the regionals in Rhode Island.

We're getting closer to figuring out which two teams it will be.

But I don't have to think about that tonight since I'm back home.

Tonight had hints of drama despite the scores, especially in the Trumbull/Stamford game. That one was a powder keg getting ready to explode. Trumbull built up leads of 8-0 ad 10-2 then Stamford fought back. They were a single away from 10-7.

From a broadcast perspective, that makes for a better program because 10-7 is a closer game of course. You know Stamford is on the verge.

It didn't happen. Trumbull got the outs they needed and while they didn't exactly cruise, they still got the win.

It made for a fun night.

That's what this is about.

Fun.

Look, I can critique my own performance but I've learned to not stress it as much.

I'm just trying to enjoy the ride.

Two more games tomorrow and then single games on Wednesday and Thursday. Another game if necessary on Friday.

Then we'll see after that.

I joked with Shawn Sailer about how a long Babe Ruth baseball game could be the end of "Project 365."

It didn't happen tonight.

Not after *checks notes* 1,653 consecutive days with a post.

Many that I wasn't prepared for and, yes, still pulled them together.

Somehow, we continued on.

And so we shall continue tomorrow.

No comments: