Sunday, July 23, 2023

Night 5: Unintentionally Not Home

Trumbull celebrates

It's not ending like this. 

This streak, that is. 

I'm in the middle of construction traffic on 95 in Bridgeport that should be seen as an embarrassment by the state of Connecticut. 

My trip back from Rhode Island was going splendidly, thank you very much. 

Then? I reached Connecticut. And screw this. 

It won't ruin the memories of three dramatic baseball games. There were two walkoffs, strategic moves galore, one ejection, and one dragon slayed. 

Pittsfield -- unbeatable Pittsfield -- got beaten. 

Trumbull 3, Pittsfield 1. 

Oh, the ejection? You can't slam into a defenseless catcher. The offending player was ejected for that game as well as the championship game. 

And as a reminder, don't let the adults ruin it for the kids. Too many rules and regulations. 

It was a magnificent five days and beyond thankful for everything that Waterford and Trumbull blessed me with. 

And I'm stunned at how much the athletes liked the broadcasts. 

Each one came over to thank me after the championship. It moved me. 

Now they want me at the World Series in Virginia. 

There's work needed to make that happen. 

But there are no pictures of me with the championship plaque. I'm not in any team photos. I know my role. 

Congrats, players. Congrats, coaches. Congrats, families. 

Congrats, Trumbull. 

No comments: