Thursday, July 13, 2023

The Postgame Show

Trumbull warms up before last night's game

 

The last out had been recorded.

Trumbull 13, New Milford 0.

I didn't see it going that way but Trumbull's Ryan DeMelo dominated on the mound. New Milford, playing loose and fun, only scraped a few base hits against the right-hander. 

Trumbull, who seemed tighter, took advantage of any opening that New Milford gave them.

It was over in 4.5 innings.

Sean (Adams) and Shawn (Sailer) walked out to the car with me and we prepared to say goodnight. Sean and I were both tired.

Then I was told there was a "business meeting" that I had to attend.

Sean and Shawn both agreed to go along and we headed to a nearby restaurant. Families laughed, drank, and ate as they chatted about the affairs of the evening.

We grabbed a high-top table and talked.

My 2023 Babe Ruth broadcasting schedule appears to not be over. Yes, I'll be calling tonight's championship between Trumbull and Waterford (gee, what a shock). If Trumbull wins tonight then they'll play again tomorrow.

If not, I get a night off.

Then, I'm probably hitting the road next week.

We didn't solve world affairs at the business meeting. We talked baseball and what I'd need to be able to continue calling games through another fun summer.

And already talk of summer 2024.

But, as for next week: am I allowed to be there? Is there space? How many games? Those are the basics to do it.

That will all be figured out in quick time.

But we really needed to get home. I'm working for a few hours today before heading back to Trumbull for the game.

So as we left, I caught the eye of one of the parents and sent a wave.

He waved back. 

Then people started cheering.

Of course, they were quite happy with their boys having clinched a spot in the championship of this tournament. Further, both teams are now secured to go to the New England Regional tournament next week.

So they were cheering that.

But.

They were also cheering the work that we've done and that's so humbling and cool. Both remaining teams want us to continue broadcasting these games.

I can't stress enough how little this is about me. As broadcasters, we're reporters. There's enough ego, narcissism, and entitlement running around the sports media business lately and I do whatever I can to avoid adding to that. So I felt nothing short of embarrassed as the applause rang out with encouragement to continue the experience.

But I'm humbled and grateful that the words I speak have any impact at all. 

It will continue tonight.

And then, perhaps, next week.

No comments: