Saturday, July 22, 2023

Night 4: Providence at Night


Today's games ended just past 2 p.m. in North Providence.

I soon packed up and departed, heading down into the capital of Rhode Island.

However, I decided to take a ride.

Onto RI 146 to I-95 to I-195.

Into Massachusetts.

I figured, heck, I was so close, I should say hello to The Bay State.

Lizzie Borden House. No hatchets anywhere.

I only went as far (fah) as Fall River, where I drove by the Lizzie Borden House.

No 40 whacks to be found (thankfully).

But, to me, Fall River, MA will always be about Battleship Cove. I first visited it with my family in probably 1977 or 1978, fascinated by this giant ship, submarine, and other vessels that we were allowed to tour. I've been back several times since.

On this day, I found it sort of a bummer to visit alone so I opted to not do the tour, simply grabbing a photo and heading back to my car.

Battleship Cove with the USS Massachusetts on the right

With that, I did a very "Rob" thing and drove U.S. Route 6 out of Fall River west into Rhode Island where it routed onto Interstate 195.

You might know that Route 6 begins its journey at Provincetown -- the very tip of Cape Code. From there, it winds around the Cape and makes its way eventually to Fall River and onto Providence before heading off into Connecticut.

It also crosses numerous other states before ending in Bishop, CA.

And it goes right through the heart of a little hamlet known as Mahopac, NY. 

Providence is I-95 and U.S. 6. Those are two of the primary roads in my life.

Not wanting to drive all over, I returned to Providence to come back to the hotel. In the process, I went through the area around Brown University before settling back into my room.

I could have driven down to Newport and walked around or done something else but Saturday beach traffic made me opt for staying close and taking it easy.

It's time to go out and get some food. (Note: Written before I obviously went out. I'm back from dinner as well as a walk to the nearby Providence Place mall.)

Tomorrow, with virtually no shock, we'll see good friends Trumbull and Waterford face off for the third time since this Babe Ruth Baseball journey began earlier this month. Waterford has won the first two. The coaches are no doubt pondering scenarios and lining up their pitchers.

I get to call it. I'm thrilled.

I'm sad the result means one of them will be done.

The winner of this semifinal match gets to hang around and wait for the winner of Braintree and Pittsfield. They play at 1 p.m. with the championship scheduled for 4 p.m. The winner of that game is off to the World Seris in Virginia in early August.

The road will guide me back towards Connecticut sometime Sunday night and I can promise you that I'll likely be on 95 (unless traffic conditions say otherwise).

I won't be on U.S. 6.

What a ride it has been regardless of the final outcome.

No comments: