Sunday, October 02, 2022

Sports Sunday

 


I made a decision to not leave the house today.

Oh, I could have used a trip to the grocery store, but nah. I have enough food here for today.

Instead, I made it a day of watching sports.

I gave some serious consideration to going to Yankee Stadium to watch Aaron Judge go for 62 but I let the weather impact that consideration. Plus the ticket wasn't cheap so it felt like it wasn't the right call.

That's exactly how it played out. The weather didn't impact the game in that it was never postponed but Judge didn't hit 62 and it was just a raw, nasty day. Plus the Yankees lost.

All things considered, I was content to stay in my chair and watch it on TV.

But it was a good reminder that I could use a couch as I also got sleepy at one point. Instead, I have a sore neck from falling asleep in my chair. 

First-world problems.

The day began with more Rascal/shadow games. He charges behind my head while I'm trying to sleep in pursuit of whatever ghosts or goblins he thinks he sees.

Eventually, Sean took off for work, and we watched the Vikings and Saints from London. 

OK, I watched it. Rascal ran around the apartment before settling down in a cat bed next to me.

The thing is, I would have loved to run out for an egg and cheese sandwich but one thing about this area is that it's not easy to find such a thing, especially on a Sunday.

That's not to say there aren't places but there can be parking issues depending on where and how far do I want to drive to get an egg and cheese sandwich? There comes a point I might as well go back to Secor Road in Mahopac.

Of course, then again, I could get my stuff in order and get eggs, rolls, and hashbrown patties here and make my own*.

*Let's be honest, that's not even close to being the same. My egg and cheese sandwiches are fine (Sean always loved them) but they're embarrassing compared to a good deli creation.

So the bigger point of this is that I didn't go out.

Steelers quarterbacks Kenny Pickett (8) and Mitch Trubisky (10) warming up before facing the Jets in Pittsburgh on Oct. 2, 2022. (Photo: AP)

I watched Saints/Vikings come down to "double doink" 61-yard missed field goal.

I watched Jets/Steelers usher in the Kenny Pickett era by giving me highs and, ultimately, lows. Credit to the Jets and young QB Zach Wilson for a gritty win in Pittsburgh. Somewhere, my dad smiles.

I bounced to Orioles/Yankees and, yeah, nothing that great there.

I glanced at Bears/Giants. Glanced.

Then I took in Patriots/Packers come down to overtime before Aaron Rodgers beat Bil Belichick. 

Now, it's time for Chiefs/Buccaneers. 

Eventually, Sean came home from work and we made dinner. I told him about my day and he was happy for me. 

"Good," he said. "After the past couple of days, you needed to have a day like this."

I probably did but there's always a prevailing hint of guilt sitting inside of me. How dare I pop a pair of comfy pants on, pull a blanket on me (by the way, it's raw and chilly), and chill out?

Well, regardless, that's what I did.

The thing about being a play-by-play announcer (yes, I'm sure I've said this) is that it's a combination of mentally and physically taxing. There's walking and lugging equipment and standing for hours (depending on the booth) and stair climbing (have fun at places like Cardinal Stadium). There's also, generally, 2-3 hours (or more) of thinking and talking even when you've run out of things to say.

Of course, there's keeping the broadcast on the air, engaging your audience, social media, making sure everyone you're working with is OK, and miscellaneous items that can be exhausting. I haven't even alluded to internet issues and other technical issues and other items.

I'm not complaining but that's what I was trying to say in yesterday's post. A lot more goes into it than anyone knows.

I also haven't mentioned what it can do to my throat and voice. Fortunately, I'm fine today. In fact, Kevin Halpenny checked in on me to see how I was doing and I joked that I'm ready for another game.

Well, I am ready for one, but I didn't have to.

Still, I'm in talks to add something else to the fun so there could be some Friday-Sunday activity coming up. 

I'll keep you posted about that.

Time for Chiefs/Bucs and to keep an eye on Mets/Braves.

No comments: