Tuesday, October 18, 2022

A Donut

 


The picture? The post title? We'll get there.

I sort of don't feel like thinking tonight.

That's the conclusion I've reached as I sat here pondering -- you know, thinking -- what to write.

Sure, I sat through the Yankees' Game 5 win over the Ind...er...Cleveland.

I've read enough Bob Costas slander to last me for years. I accept that I'm in the minority as I enjoyed the broadcasts. I can't help but wonder what you all think of me as a broadcaster since I talk during the call, sometimes head down interesting paths to fill time, and love talking history.

You know. Like Bob Costas.

I digress.

I really like the Cleveland team. I love how they're feisty and use some speed with just a little power. Plus they have a dynamite bullpen, arguably the best closer in baseball -- trumpets not necessary -- and a Hall of Fame-bound manager.

They seem to get timely hits. They remind me of some of the 90s Yankees squads.

I lost no sleep over the "rock the baby" theatrics of Josh Naylor. I also didn't fret over the Yankees and their fans giving right back to Naylor tonight. "Let them play" is what baseball wants and, as such, it's what they're getting.

It was a fun five-game series. I would have rooted for the "Guardiac Kids" against the Houston Astros in the ALCS. 

However, the Yankees won so there's that. Now onto the best four of seven against Houston. Good times for my blood pressure.

We also tried to get my washing machine back in working order today and I think we're either there or very close. I'll likely try it out tomorrow to find out for sure.

So there was enough going on where I felt like I didn't need to put much thought into a post tonight.

Oh, and I'm sorry to say that I won't be in Trumbull this year for Career Night at Madison Middle School. I've gone several times, first at the urging (order) of Paul Silverfarb. After that, the school asked me and I kept saying yes. However, Greenwich is playing ... Trumbull on Thursday night in football.

So I'll be back next year.

I actually enjoy it because it allows me to spend, basically, thirty minutes explaining how cool (and challenging) it is to be a sports broadcaster. The students and families seem to like it as well. 

I'll miss it but duty calls at Cardinal Stadium.

Oh, the picture? The donut? That showed up in my memories this morning. Here's the caption that is associated with it:

My son missed the bus today because he wanted a donut. He texted me and I said I was on the air, so his grandmother helped him out. He sent a donut home for his dad. That kid is the best.

I really try to not wear people out with "Sean Stories" be it on social media, the blog, or on the air. I'm probably still guilty and apologize. 

There's no question we have an amazing relationship and I'm extremely proud of him.

But I really don't remember the background of the donut story. I think he was getting one at school and missed the bus. Thus my mom went and picked him up.

And he wanted me to have a donut. 

Sometimes, the simple kindness of a son wanting his father to have a donut is enough to bring a smile. There's no need to be heavy-handed.

I could use a donut right now.

No comments: