Monday, October 03, 2022

Break On Through

 

From "Family Guy" because why not?

I've hit another wall.

Not a big deal, we'll blast through it like the Kool-Aid Man and keep on going.

But, yeah. 

I mean, I write night after night and it just feels like interest has waned a bit, as it occasionally does.

The thing is that we have to write with our audience in mind but not necessarily for our audience.

So, as I've done from time to time, I call sort of a time out on myself, figuring the posts have gotten "meh" and my topics have hit a bit of a dead end.

Some, for instance, aren't into the sports post. Or the road posts. Or any of the posts.

Some posts just take more time to create and really craft and tonight just doesn't feel like I have that kind of time.

Don't consider this some post saying that our national streak of silliness is over. Not yet. I'm not sure how (or when) it will end but this isn't it.

I'm constantly thinking and conjuring up topics. But some of them just don't land for whatever reason.

Fear not. I know there is a loyal collection of people who read every post or almost every post. Believe me, I see the numbers and they stay almost the same every day.

*****

I talked with a recent college grad who is trying to make his way into sports. He's not sure if it's broadcasting or exactly where he wants to go next but he was interested in learning more about me.

Among his questions was how much longer I plan to keep doing what I'm doing, though he phrased it a bit differently.

There's no end game (just like this blog) as of now. It's kind of the "Vin Scully approach." Let's be honest, isn't most of what I do in sports broadcasting the "Vin Scully approach?"

The answer is "yes" and, in this case, that approach is that so long as I still feel joy and it's giving me the proper goose bumps, then I'm fairly content to find time in my life to call games, regardless of whatever else I'm doing in life.

The passion is still there. The energy is still there. The voice is still there. The desire to travel is still there (Massachusetts this Saturday). I still get excited when people reach out to discuss opportunities.

I could do without the headaches but, honestly, couldn't we all do without those kinds of things?

Regardless of the score, it's still my job to report the game to the audience and I still think that's pretty cool.

He's fine, thanks.

Otherwise, I'd just be sitting home with The Cat and what fun would that be? Seems like some think I'm a crazy old cat man anyway so I'd like to keep that impression at bay for a while longer.

Maybe that's not what people think of me but I do get asked "how's the cat?" a lot.

To be certain, he's fine and asleep maybe two feet away from my computer.

I was talking with someone today and they were talking about how tuned in dogs are to their humans. I countered that believe it or not, cats are also. They're just not as obvious about it and, yeah, they're more detached.

No doubt he plays a role in this and in my life because he's always nearby when I'm home (as a reminder, my place isn't very big) so it's easy to factor him into storytelling.

But I personally don't think I'm a crazy old cat man.

I'm crazy. Yes.

Supposedly, I'm also old, as both Chris Erway and Sean Adams tell me all the time.

I'd like to think that's where the story ends.

And, with that, we've busted through that wall.

Thanks, Kool-Aid Man.

Oh yeah!

No comments: