Friday, October 21, 2022

Dispatches From Beyond?

 

Is Michael Myers tweeting?

A sense of humor is always necessary.

If you're a reader of this little enterprise you know that one of my heroes -- Vin Scully, legendary sports broadcaster -- died back in August.

The sports world mourned his passing.

Towards the end of his life, Vin became active on social media, dabbling on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

In fact, it was his lack of any social media posts this summer that led me to think he wasn't well. He passed a few weeks later.

So it was kind of weird tonight when I got an alert that Vin had posted on Twitter.

Was it a miracle?!

A missive from a heavenly broadcast booth?

Was it a family member or someone in charge of his account who decided to post?

Er. I'm going to say no.


I blinked. Briefly, I was confused.

But then it disappeared; deleted by whatever cretin posted it.

Oh, but they weren't done. Within minutes a new post appeared.


To be very clear, I didn't click on any of the links. 

Both tweets were shared quite a bit with a lot of outrage.

I mean, hacking Vin Scully's account is pretty crass but given the tweets quickly disappeared, well, that was that.

What flashed in my mind was just how nuts my mind is.

For what it's worth, I still have posting access to my mother's social media accounts and, well, I'll leave that right there. But let's just say I wanted to post as her on Twitter.

And, further, I'm absolutely certain how she would have reacted to it.

She would have been amused but there would have been mock horror as she exclaimed my name. "Robert!" 

Always "Robert."

If you heard it, you never forgot it, so the impressions of it that still linger over Mahopac.

Ask Sean about the hand that would magically appear from the backseat of her car with a bag in it and one question proposed: "Garbage?"

Again, if you heard it, you never forgot.

So while I obviously mean no offense to Vin or his loved ones, that dark sense of humor was what rattled in me as I saw these dumb tweets tonight.

I'm glad they've been deleted, of course.

Oh, and Vin's Hidden Hills, CA house is for sale. His daughter is the listing agent on the seven-bedroom, nine-bathroom house priced at $15 million. Read more from the New York Post.

Pocket change for me, of course, to buy the property called "Home Plate." As it should be.

It sits just minutes off the 101 freeway, which I've been on. No, for the record, I did not try to find Vin's house.

I made it to the parking lot of Dodger Stadium -- his other house.

That was enough.

No zombies were around that day.

No comments: