Saturday, August 13, 2022

Veteran of the Game

 

That's Ron's picture on the videoboard


I was handed a ticket tonight.

Me. At a Hudson Valley Renegades game. As a fan.

My cousin Ron was honored as Veteran of the Game tonight at Dutchess Stadium. It was an honor that he very much deserved.

So it was my pleasure to be there for his moment.

Many of us were whisked down to the field for his special moment. Rick Zolzer read a nice summary of Ron's military service as a couple of pictures of him flashed on the scoreboard.

Eventually, those of us on the field gathered for a group photo as the whole thing played on the big videoboard.

Ron received a wonderful standing overation.

It was a special moment.

Beyond that we had a nice night of family and laughs. Laura and Jake joined me for the ride to the stadium where we met with Sean in the parking lot for our own "pregame." Then Sean went off to work and we eventually worked our way in.

With me, holding a ticket.

If you don't know, I'km not good at being at an event at I think I should be broadcasting. Still, I felt useful and happy to be there.

Now, I'm back home, ready to head back to the ballpark tomorrow morning.

Then comes vacation.

No comments: