Wednesday, August 24, 2022

National Waffle Day

 


I know that I've become associated with waffles over the years.

So, why? 

Why waffles?

The obvious answer, of course, is my connection (and, some would say, obsession) with Waffle House. Yes, laugh all you want but it's become a father/son bond for us (even if we ever go without each other). 

Still, why?

Like anything else, I'm particular about my waffles. Oh, don't get me wrong, I appreciate a nice Belgian waffle. 

But what made Waffle House my go-to was that it had the waffle. Per Wikipedia, the "American Waffle" is "generally denser and thinner than the Belgian waffle." That, waffle friends, is a fairly accurate description. The Waffle House waffle felt lighter and, dare I say, more tender. Floppier.

So while I have an appreciation for all waffles, the Waffle House waffle was it, so much so that I'd nag my father to go to Waffle House for it. The location I often think of in regards to dragging my dad and family there (no wonder I'm so hated) has apparently closed permanently.

Google Street View, 2019

I recall it being 1975. I would have just turned seven. It was in Tarpon Springs, FL. Per google, it's permanently closed.

While I can pour some syrup out for the departed location, let me honestly say I haven't been there since 1975 and there are myriad locations that I've visited since. There are also 20 locations within an hour of Tarpon Springs.

Maybe my next chapter in life is to reopen that Waffle House at 40084 US 19 N and become the "voice" (blech) of the Tarpon Springs Spongers. I can relocate Robcasting there!


No, really, Tarpon Springs High School's mascot is the Sponger, reflecting the Sponge Docks and the culture surrounding the sponge trade.

And I'm sure they have a broadcaster so literally, none of this idea is real. I'm still a broadcaster for the Bruins, Cardinals, and ... 

OK, I'm getting sidetracked. Back to waffles.

To that end, to honor National Waffle Day, I didn't have a fluffy, delicious Waffle House waffle today. Nor did I make any. Nor did I go to a diner or establishment nearby.

No. 

I made frozen waffles. I put some excellent syrup on them and even a little powdered sugar. 

Then, I ate.

There were no covered hashbrowns or scrambled eggs with cheese or country ham or white toast or grits or anything else.

There were just these small, frozen waffles and they were quite sufficient.

Now, realizing this is waffle day, I'll still go ahead and tell you that I also like pancakes and lots of other breakfast delights (always cereal or an egg and cheese sandwich). But, I'm a waffles guy.

Happy National Waffle Day.

Eat up and enjoy!

A Belgian waffle. Compare that to the Waffle House one at the top of the page!

No comments: