Thursday, February 03, 2022

Thursday at the Rink


I've long said the broadcast booth is my sanctuary.

Today, I needed it.

Nothing bad happened. It's just a day in which I have a lot of things on my mind and -- normally -- I'm able to check out during a game.

There have been very few games where I haven't been able to do that. In fact, I would guess the number has been under 10. Maybe even under five.

The falling rain, combined with my tires (getting replaced on Monday) didn't help things as I sloshed around. it was bad enough that I departed I-684 at the Mount Kisco exit after driving it for just a few miles. I used local roads the rest of the way to Brunswick and then from Wick back to Mahopac.

The drive home lingered in my mind at the rink but it did not deter me from calling a 6-2 Brunswick win.

Before the game, I was chatting with a friend who wanted to stop by. He gave me an unintentional boost by talking about ways he thinks I could help students more than I do around Brunswick. 

I guess that's what I've often thought as well.

"You're a teacher," he said. "I can tell."

Well, by definition, no I can't say I'm really a teacher. Sure I instruct at CSB but teachers are more official than I am. They have the training and everything else. They're outstanding.

I'm an instructor. A rank novice at best.

But I do love teaching broadcasters of all ages to be a professional. That's where those who think I'm some big monster don't get. I'm always actually trying to make them better. The constant narcissism and diva behavior don't help them. 

Be a professional.

That's what the friend of mine was saying. Sure it's great to see kids (and others) get their shot but if nobody is guiding them towards creating a professional broadcast and understanding the flow then it's all for nothing.

Enter: me. I can help.

I like it.

Oh, so to the ride home. I decided I wouldn't take any highways. It would be all main/back roads.

I steadied myself for another sloshy ride which now included dense fog and bright headlights.

I didn't have an issue.

We live to fight another day.

New tires on Monday and onto the next battle.

No comments: