Friday, February 25, 2022

The Answer is "Absolutely Nothing"

 

Kyiv, Ukraine

I'm horrified over what is happening in Ukraine. This is no great social or political commentary. It's just me expressing sorrow over war and the question that has lingered for years: what is it good for?

The images are terrible and I see no possible way to defend what Vladimir Putin is doing.

Basically, that's it. That's the post. I'm saddened by the images of events in that part of our world and always concerned about how they can impact our own lives as well. Those, to be clear, are two separate thoughts, and both are OK to have (in case you need to hear that).

Lives are in danger tonight and have been for a few nights now. I guess I've been trying to wrap my head around it all.

I will say, and I'm not 100% sure it's true, but the story that I've read of Ukrainian border guards on Snake Island is pretty "boss." A Russian soldier is heard on the audio as telling the guards to surrender. A Ukrainian soldier responds by telling the Russians to go f**k themselves.

Thirteen lives were lost in the act of defiance.

I lament the loss of life in something that is a combination of brave, bold, and maybe even foolish. May none of us ever be put in such a position.

As I said, I don't know if the story is true but, as we've learned, "when the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

And so we'll print the legend.

Stay strong, Ukraine. Stay strong.



No comments: