Wednesday, February 16, 2022

It Was Almost Over


 

I'm working on a deposition tonight. I logged in at 10 p.m. for the 11 p.m. start.

OK, I actually logged in around 9:15.

The rest of the day was trying to stay ahead of a lost night of sleep after a lost night of sleep. I also had Brunswick and Greenwich Country Day in basketball.

I kept reminding myself to find a few minutes to write but, well, here we are.

It's 11:40 p.m. as I begin typing.

All of a sudden, as I watched the US/Canada women's gold medal hockey game, I realized I had not visited the blog.

So, here we are, with a few random thoughts before midnight.

I suppose I should take a moment to thank the many people who reached out publicly and privately since last night's post went live. I'm touched by the overwhelming love I got.

Let me clarify something: many have mentioned my next gig and so on. The truth is the Renegades for me in 2021 was a part-time job. Of course, given my insanity along with my love of baseball and broadcasting, I focused on it a lot more than most. It might have seemed like it was full-time.

But I have depositions (which I'm working on now), Local Live and Brunswick, Robcasting, Hunt Scanlon, and other freelance jobs. Hunt Scanlon alone will take me to London in April, San Francisco in September, and New York City a few more times.

The Renegades job was a driving force from May until September last year. As last summer went on I turned down plenty of gigs, especially video depositions that would have netted me better money.

So, in terms of future endeavors, I'll still be quite busy. The Renegades' position was a chance for stability and benefits in 2022, which I certainly long for.

That being said, there are things on the horizon. Maybe. Possibly.

If not, then we'll look into other things.

But there's no question the things I want the most are stability and health benefits. 

The road is full but also can easily change and we'll see what's next.

I can't deny that it's crossed my mind to 1) walk away from broadcasting or 2) back off to being more of a nights and weekends broadcaster as availability opens. That's where I say things will be interesting in the next stretch.

That being said, I'm not closing the door. Nor am I likely walking away. The words of the past 24 hours make it clear that I'm not bad at it.


No comments: