Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Radio gaga

 

Courtesy of the team I work for

You might have already seen this piece of news on social media but allow me to tell you here that the Hudson Valley Reneagdeshave a new radio partner.

After years of being on the group of stations including WLNA and WBNR, and other years of being only on the internet, the Gades head to FM on Z93, WBWZ.

What this means for fans is that you'll have multiple options to catch my call of the game. You can watch us on MILB.TV and listen to us on Z93 as well as online at hvrenegades.com and the MiLB app.

As you know, so much of my heart is invested in radio, so I'm glad to see games truly on the air. Obviously, I'm no stranger to internet only (um...Robcasting?) but I still love the magic of a terrestrial station.

The Gades have been on FM before, as part of their package with the WLNA/WBNR group in later years but to my knowledge, this will be the first year of being on FM exclusively.

Baseball and the radio work so perfectly together and I'm excited to paint the word pictures for everyone. I've spent too many hours turning a dial to listen to games at night from Boston and Baltimore and Toronto and Montreal and Pittsburgh and Detroit and Cleveland and Cincinnati and Chicago and even St. Louis. 

There are still things to learn, of course, with just two weeks before the first broadcast. We have to determine equipment and how we're delivering audio to the radio station along with other nuggets. I have to learn who the board operator (or operators) will be. They need to learn me and my cadence. I have to learn what the outcue is. Or am I creating it myself?

All questions -- like it or not -- will soon be answered.

Joining me on this journey in his own position is my son. Sean has accepted a role as a camera operator and whatever else the team would like him to do. That might mean he winds up working a camera in the booth with me, meaning we would be working together.

The thing about this is that I want him to fly on his own so I only suggested Sean's interest to the team and it was up to him to get the job. From here it's his to make or break. I've got my own things to deal with.

I also recorded the first episode of a new podcast series today, "Renegades Weekly," in which Director of Digital Media and Video Production Zach Neubauer and I break down the previous week and look ahead. Keep an eye out for that, as well as my interview with Scranton-Wilkes Barre RailRiders lead broadcaster Adam Marco.

Things are definitely happening and it's getting more exciting and nerve-wracking. New York's Gov. Cuomo has opened up more seating at Dutchess Stadium (and around the state, of course), meaning more fans can come to the ballpark (and hopefully bring a radio or smart device!).

I should say again that this does not end my time on WGCH at all. I intend to be doing "Doubleheader" and "The Clubhouse." I plan on calling Brunswick sports and anything else that I can. I've been asked to call Babe Ruth baseball once again in Trumbull this summer and there's talk of Little League coming back to Robcasting. These are all things to be weaved into the calendar.

But, to be clear, I'm currently exclusive to no one. 

The long journey to Renegades baseball being a reality is inching closer. A week from tonight, the team will open the 2021 campaign in New Jersey. In two weeks, it's showtime at Dutchess Stadium.

Sean and I will both be there.

No comments: