Sunday, April 25, 2021

Just not my "Hill of Beans" tonight

 

We could all use a Bogie in our life

The Academy Awards are on and I'm not watching it.

That is, I just haven't turned them on. There's no protest on my part.

It has nothing to do with politics -- though I prefer when they simply hand out awards and call it a night.

Look, some come for the glitz and glamour.

The fashion.

The celeb buzz.

For me, it's pure history.

I love movie history. I generally love most history (good and bad) which is why I don't like it when we try to erase it...

Stop. That's not the path I want to take.

So, yeah, movie history.

I could still turn it on before the end of the night, I suppose. I have nothing against the movies. I haven't seen them but that doesn't keep me from watching the ceremony.

For me, Oscar is at its best when they remind us of the glory of filmmaking. I can do without the musical performances and a lot of the other stuff of the night. Inevitably I drift off during the show by either reading and keeping it on as background noise or putting something else on.

Then I engage again for the big awards.

Anyway, I just find myself not interested, which is par for how I've felt with all awards shows this year.

I did, however, see a laughably bad list (such a dangerous word) ranking all of the Best Picture winners, beginning with "Wings" in 1929. The list was so awful that I won't ever link it here.

For me, the best Best Picture winner is "The Godfather." If you don't like it, by all means, leave the gun and take the cannoli.

After that, I'd probably pick "Casablanca" second. From there it's a crapshoot of movies that I think are truly great, some that are not so great, and some that I've never seen.

Then you're reminded that "Citizen Kane" didn't win, losing to "How Green Was My Valley" and your head begins to hurt.

Then there's the "The Greatest Show on Earth" debacle, a film that was...fine...but in no way was it better than "High Noon" or "The Quiet Man."

Oh, some years had me pleased and some just livid. Best to not get me going on "Shakespeare in Love" for instance. In fact, that was a fairly grumpy night for me, as I watched "Shakespeare in Love" beat "Saving Private Ryan" for Best Picture and Roberto Benigni top Tom Hanks for Best Actor.

However, this is certainly not meant to be a "back in my day" type of rant. I'm not denying the power of modern moviemaking at all.

For whatever reason, I just don't have the zest for it at the moment.

So if you're watching, enjoy it. If you're not, I get it.

I'm right there with you.

No comments: