Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Missing John

I had another post written this morning.  It was full of, well, nothing.  Nothing good anyway.  Just riding the roller coaster of life.  I've been having trouble putting things into words on here lately anyway, and have stopped writing about various topics due to that.

I also wanted to write more about the loss of John Lennon, 30 years ago tonight.  There are plenty of other perspectives out there.  In short, I was 12.  I went to bed, having watched some of the Monday Night Football game.  It was past my bedtime when Howard Cosell announced John's death to the world.

I woke up to a world of Beatles music, including on both WNBC (where Imus was ruling) and WABC, where Harry Harrison was once and forever "The Morning Mayor."  My sister, 10 years my elder, and who truly experienced Beatlemania, having watched "The Ed Sullivan Show" on that magical night in 1964,  gave me the bad news.  Oh boy.

John once famously visited Cosell in the MNF booth.  This was in 1974.


We need some music.  This is so brilliant, sad, and soul-bearing

"I didn't mean to hurt you.  I'm sorry that I made you cry."  Wow.  The words to that song are...yeah.  Wow.

No comments: