Thursday, December 16, 2010

Fifity Years Ago Today: The Park Slope Plane Crash

My thanks to The Graying Mantis of The Dark Ranger for posting a link to an interesting series of articles about the collision of two planes over the skies of New York City on December 16, 1960.

Start here to get an understanding of the tragedy.   Eventually, move forward to learn the story of Stephen Baltz, who had New York in his grip for a day as the sole survivor, only to pass away.

I've driven through this area, and haven't paid it much mind.  Park Slope in 2010 isn't quite what it was in 1960, as it was described as being a fairly rough area.  It's much better now, and I will be sure to look more closely next time I'm there.

This video includes images from that day, along with audio that was broadcast on WNYC Radio.


I can't even imagine what it must have been like, nor do I think I want to.

A search produced some YouTube videos.  This one is a news-style report, with details of the Park Slope fire, as well as a fire at the Brooklyn Naval Yard.

No comments: