Tuesday, October 08, 2024

Today's Project in Manhattan

 


I feel the sense to be somewhat short tonight. 

Expedient even.

Oh, I alluded to buying a rug in last night's post. Well, that was waiting for me when I got home tonight. Let's say it was a suggested purchase as a way of muffling sound here in my bedroom.

Sean and I are pretty quiet but 1930s floorboards are not.

But to the starring event of the day. I was asked yesterday if I was available to work.

I mean ... work? Money? Feeling useful?

So I was told to be in the office at 8 a.m.

And my body elected to wake up at 5 a.m. I mean, alarm? What alarm?

I ate a bowl of cereal, put myself together, and got ready to leave.

The job was back in the world of depositions, though it wasn't specifically that. I was asked to help set some things up. Nothing I couldn't handle, especially with a little guidance.

I was in the office before 8 a.m. That's when I started hearing talk of the number of cars we might need.

I figured we might be doing a job in Westchester County. I questioned that as we packed and got ready to leave.

Then I looked at my notes again.

Manhattan.

Look, we can moan about traffic, and, believe me, I sat in plenty of it.

On the Hutch. The Cross County. The Henry Hudson. The West Side Highway.

And I dealt with it all on the way home also. 

But you know that is going to be part of the deal. 

I found a place to park near the job site and we went about setting up.

After we waited. And waited. These things take time.

From there, it became a methodical process of setting up equipment, stringing cables, testing things, and making it all look as neat as possible.

Eventually, we began to deal with the reality of hunger.

I was so hungry that I was sleepy. Oh, wait, that was the 5 a.m. wakeup.

But it was an impressive setup when it was all over. 

And it was work. Good, honorable work.

And then I had a well-earned burger before driving home.

The day also meant spending time in a New York high-rise office building and all of the trimmings that come with that. At one point, I passed two women pushing mail carts.

I was immediately taken back to 1988, General Foods, Rye, in the "Taj Mahal" building to the side of I-287.

That was the very beginning of my corporate career.

The mail room.

And treasured times with people, most of whom I've lost touch with. I was a wee lad of 19 when I took the job, which ended my time as a full-time college student. I'd still get my degree years later by going part-time, but working there was the beginning of eye-opening years for me.

But there was something so innocent about those days in the mail room (and also the office supply stock room) in Rye Brook, NY.

And I was reminded of that as I walked around 55th Street today. It had to be 55th Street, right?

Stories that perhaps will be told at some other time.

But hockey awaits tomorrow and football follows in New York on Thursday.

And I'm prepping for them tonight.

Lastly, I send my love and best wishes to the people of Florida. If you've read this space enough times you know I have loved ones there and that the Tampa Bay area specifically means a lot to me.

Be safe and smart.

Please.

No comments: