Sunday, October 13, 2024

As I Write This Letter

 


I felt the need for a breakfast sandwich this morning after a long day of football on Saturday.

I pulled myself together and got out the door to head over to one of the delis that is actually open on Sunday morning.

Sandwich and coffee in hand, I moved onto the WGCH studios and set up. What might not be known is that I don't just sit down and talk. Depending on the show, I have to set up a mixer and connections (for music) and the cable to go to Mixlr for Robcasting.

That's when it hit me.

Look, I would have enjoyed being at home, chilling out with coffee there, especially after another night of questionable sleep. Instead, I was sitting in a (too warm) radio studio preparing to do "Meet the Beatles."

And that was the point.

I get to host a radio show -- one that I came up with* -- about the greatest band in music history.

OK, I actually get to host at least three shows ("Doubleheader," "Meet the Beatles," and "The Clubhouse").

* I realize that, conceptually, "Meet the Beatles" doesn't break new ground. But it's a show that was in my mind for several years, and the idea was to see what I could do with a Beatles show of my own. Overall, I wanted it to be about the discovery and enjoyment of the music. If we can find some different avenues we will.

For the first seven months of the show, I made it my own personal journey, picking different themes each week. Sometimes, I'd go with a "dealer's choice" show that allowed me to just play music. Some weeks, I'd highlight a single member of the band or an album.

I'm sure some weeks have been better than others.

Bennie Rose will be on this month

As October began, I had my first guest on as Mark Zelenz was on last week. This week was just me, so I honored John Lennon's birthday. Sun Kings will join me next Sunday, and Bennie Rose will be on the following week.

We're talking about more guests -- singers, historians, authors, and fans -- that I hope you'll enjoy. I'm still trying to convince Sean to come in for a show, for instance. He doesn't quite understand why but I want him to explain his journey with the music, and it's an example of how it gets passed through generations.

But that's where my mind was this morning as I was sitting there. A lot of radio stations wouldn't embrace this idea.

WGCH did and those in charge like it.

I mentioned it in passing to Bob Small, and he was all in. It took a few months to get it on the schedule but it's now anchored at 9 a.m. on Sunday morning. Will it stay there forever? Who knows?

But there's been no interference. From time to time, I've had a few headaches about "Doubleheader" but that sound and fury has only come from one place, and, beyond that, it has gone away. 

I suppose what I'm saying is that, despite the lack of money the shows have been a joy to do overall. I'm not sure I can afford to do them much longer but I'm content to keep going while there is still the flexibility and hands-off approach. It fits in my schedule and that matters a lot.

WGCH is a gem. It's a gem that we need to make shine more. The website didn't work this morning but that's why Robcasting is always available as a backup. 

I want to make WGCH even better and shows like "Meet the Beatles" helps because it's locally produced.

That needs to be the approach.

We need to make more of that happen.

No comments: