Wednesday, October 16, 2024

The Boys Are Back in Mount Kisco

Dave, Mark, Bob, Me, 2022

 

The first edition of "The Clubhouse" aired tonight on WGCH and Robcasting.

We kept it simple tonight, only having 1969 "Miracle Met" Art Shamsky as a guest.

Beyond that, it was just Dave Torromeo, Mark Jeffers, me, and Bob Small. We talked about sports and whatever else we wanted to talk about.

It was a fun and easy show, serving as a reminder that I wish they could all (Doubleheader included) be that way.

We didn't need to stress over things. It was an easy hour of top-notch radio.

A few people mentioned that it was as good as anything they hear on sports talk these days.

In truth, we're three guys (Dave, Mark, and me) who love sports and, while it can be easy to cast us off as "old," I think we adjust as needed.

We each had things to get wound up tonight, like Dave spouting about the Jets. Overall, I think I stayed calm, though I was asked off the air about how much I detest the black Mets jerseys.

I'll repeat: they celebrate mediocrity. Oh, cool, you clinched the 2000 National League pennant wearing those? Remind me, how did the 2000 World Series play out?

(Narrator: they lost. To the Yankees.)

Plus they're ugly but I recognize that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I loved the format of this show tonight, allowing us to growl and talk and laugh and be loose until the interview at the midway point.

Shamsky was wonderful in explaining how he really doesn't pay as much attention to current baseball but how much the 1969 team means to him. I asked him about being on the Ed Sullivan Show to sing "You've Gotta Have Heart" and he said the team made a bunch of appearances like that. He doesn't go a day without being asked about 1969 or thanked for it.

In that regard, he's a wonderful ambassador.

Our famous scoreboard, "The Clubhouse Report" took up the final segment of the show as Mark delivered the most recent sports news that gave us a chance to react to. In truth, a show like this flies back and that's exactly what tonight did.

When the equipment sets up and breaks down with ease, things go fine technically, and the show presentation is flawless, it's all a joy to do.

Plus, at its core, we have a good time both on and off the air. We all have ideas worth pursuing and real-life circumstances worth discussing.

A show like this is supposed to be fun and it was just that tonight.

We're only in for a four-show run this time before the end of the year but we're also panning some a little different and I'll let you know about that as we get closer.

We'll be back at it next week.

I'll be back on Doubleheader tomorrow.

No comments: