Thursday, May 04, 2023

Your Order is Up

 

(Photo: LoopNet)

"ONE SIXTEEN!"

The interaction was brief and sufficient. The burly gentleman behind the counter at Costco felt like he was hardly living his best life. He shouted out my order number for the cheese slice and hot dog I had just purchased.

Perpetually following the lessons of my parents, I still thanked him for doing a job that seemed like a cheese slice short of hell.

At least, that's how it looked.

Oh, I'm not trying to get him in trouble. He did everything asked. I ordered via a terminal and paid. He got me the food and a cup for a beverage. His bark of the order number didn't bother me as much as perhaps intimidated me a touch.

It could have been a bad day. It could be this is just the way he conducts himself. Or he hates his job.

Who knows and, honestly, why did it matter?

Also -- don't hate on the Costco dinner. Sometimes one just needs cheap and simple. 

These are the thoughts I can have on a very quiet night. Sean -- seemingly for the first time in months (though not really) isn't staying here this evening.

His mother has found every excuse to have him keep coming back to Greenwich when his job with the Renegades is a one-hour, 64-mile slog from our apartment to the ballpark. Oh, and her place -- still listed as his actual residence -- is within 15 minutes of the stadium.

I should know. I'll do that drive twice this weekend and still try to get a few Boomslang basketball broadcasts in. The question "Are you crazy?" is quite appropriate.

The answer, by the way, is a firm yes. I can't do them all but you know I'll try to do some.

But back to our guy at Costco. His bold intonation of every subsequent order number served as my soundtrack while consuming my delightful but cheap meal.

"ONE NINETEEN! Three hot dogs!"

My Costco visit was otherwise brief. I strolled the electronics in search of a suitable Bluetooth speaker for the warmer months when I sit outside on the balcony. I can find other uses for it as well. Price, as always, is an option but I would like it to be a decent speaker and not junk.

I've had Bluetooth speakers that were so-so at best. I'd like a touch better. I'd like something comfortable for listening to music or ballgames while I sit outside enjoying a beverage on a warm day (and perhaps sleeping if I can get a more comfortable lounge chair but I digress).

Incidentally, I see Hudson Valley's game with Wilmington has ended, meaning Sean's job is wrapping up for the night. As this has gone on for several months, I'd often get a text indicating that he is coming back to me for some "unknown" reason. I don't think he has spent a weekend with his mother since the end of last summer.

So I'm waiting for that text.

Anyway, following Costco was a stroll around the nearby Marshalls. You'll recall that last weekend's basketball experience was rather involved. And I discovered that, somehow, I ripped the pants I was wearing on Saturday. Not on the seam, mind you. Nothing that can be repaired. 

So I tried to find a pair at Marshalls and came up empty. Not the end of the world.

The balance of my evening, with our friend T.H.E. Cat sitting just feet away, has been quiet. Sean and I are playing with the idea of a road trip that will eventually carry us back to North Carolina but will begin with a stint in Buffalo.

That means I have to do some hotel shopping for a couple of places along with a few other ideas. But of course, there's still making sure we're welcome in NC and timing out the dates and everything else.

Still, it could be an adventure in a year that has already taken us to Florida and will still get me to London and San Francisco.

This day wasn't meant to be quiet but I wound up losing two base broadcasts at Brunswick due to games getting rescheduled for testing and so on.

So here I am, babbling about my cheese slice and hot dog at Costco after shopping for a Bluetooth speaker.

Order 116 forever.

What a night.

Nobody parties quite like me.

No comments: