Friday, May 26, 2023

Party's Eve

 


The Greenwich Town Party is tomorrow.

Live on WGCH.

I've heard a rumor that we're going on the air at 11 a.m.

I've heard rumors of what we can carry on the air and what we can't.

But, it's 9:30 on Friday night.

I have no confirmation.

Oh, I'm not assigning blame. This post isn't meant to be scandalous. No need to gasp at the notion that I'm driving a Greyhound bus over anyone.

Things don't often come together until the last minute.

Not everything is tied up in a neat little bow.

I worked a deposition today which is always good since it's work. But it's also when I have other things to do, including picking up credentials and getting a look at the park where the Town Party is taking place.

Last year, I walked over and got my credentials then went into the park to look at where we would be setting up.

I hoped the deposition today would be quick. After all, it's a Friday on a holiday weekend. Who wants to work that long?

That's sound logic except it didn't work.

I logged in at 8 a.m. I logged off at 6:30 p.m.

The paycheck will be nice but it doesn't get my car aligned or new tires or pick up the GTP credentials or allow me to do a radio show.

But not all was lost. After work, Sean and I pulled ourselves together and walked down to the GTP check-in. Mercifully, it was open from 8 a.m. until 9 p.m.

Of course, we both walked there expecting to not be on the mythical list and having some kind of headache and to quote a singer performing in the area tonight ...

"You need to calm down."

We were greeted by the always-professional people in charge of check-in at the GTP and handed lanyards and wristbands. The park itself had already been locked up so we'll just have to set up tomorrow morning and hope for the best.

There are two things we need tomorrow. Well, three, I suppose.

- A table and chairs

- Electricity

- A feed from the sound booth to carry the audio on the air.

And every year -- without fail -- I either get looked at like I'm nuts (I am) or like I'm causing a problem (and I probably am). But that's the deal with WGCH. 

At least that's how it was in recent years.

Oh, and I don't know how long we'll be on the air either. Fortunately, we are both pretty flexible and, shockingly, patient.

So we'll wing it and, as always, hope for the best.

That means it might be chaos and, no, that's not my favorite thing. But we'll make it work.

This is again a reminder that, despite all the preparation that I hear about and do, you simply can't be prepared for everything.

There are no fancy charts and graphs for this. There are no multicolored pens and pencils.

Heck, as of now, I don't even have a schedule of who is playing at what time. But I will when I go to the radio station tomorrow morning.

Sean and I will get there early and, as we did last year, grab breakfast before walking into the park.

Yes. Walking. We're walking. No traffic concerns for us.

For those down on the music, don't be. Jazz is wonderful.

Much like anything else in life, people who don't like jazz simply don't understand it.

I can only offer you Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck and Charlie Parker and other names to get you started. But, in truth, this will be New Orleans jazz and you're just going to have to hear it for yourself. It will move you and keep you going all day.

Jazz is an all-encompassing word but there are so many sub-genres underneath, including the aforementioned New Orleans style. Bebop, Dixieland, Big Band, Bossa Nova, Fusion, Ragtime, Swing, and even Blues can all fall under the title of Jazz.

Oh, and Kenny G.

Regardless, I guarantee you will move and enjoy it. 

Sean and I are both pretty excited to hear the music. 

After getting out stinking badges, er, credentials, we walked up to MacDuff's Public House, the outstanding pub just off the bottom of Greenwich Ave. A pub that is, sadly, closing within the next month because the owners can't renew their lease.

Looking around the packed bar and restaurant, it was enough to make me angry, especially when the food was so good.

Sean enjoyed a plate of wings while I grabbed a pizza. Both were excellent. We enjoyed our walk home where we (well, I) could work off what we just consumed while we talked about what awaited us in the morning.

Tomorrow is just a question of, well, the unanswered questions. Including how long we'll be there because, to be honest, I wouldn't mind wrapping the day up sitting on my deck and perhaps listening to the concert from there.

We'll learn the answers to the questions tomorrow.

Laissez les bon temps rouler.

No comments: