Thursday, July 21, 2022

I Should Get Paid By the Word

 

The view from the booth in Trumbull, 2021

Mixer. Check.

Headset(s). Check.

Banner. Hmm, well, it's still sort of accurate and they might not let me hang it but OK. Check.

Crowd mic and cable. Check.

Pens. Check.

Pencils. Check.

Scorecards and binder. Three-hole punched and check!

Notes? Er...minimal but check anyway!

With that, I'm sort of ready for the 2022 Babe Ruth New England Regional 13U Tournament.

Seventeen games (though I see possible bad weather on Monday that might throw a wrench into the plans). Lots of pitches. Lots of talking.

Oh yeah. Honey lemon throat drops! CHECK!

Hard candy. Not enough, but check.

I'll need water and/or seltzer and food.

Pacing is important. I have to control my voice and save it for the big moments.

I have to be prepared for the sags in energy and that will happen.

This is absolutely a marathon over six days.

Hate to say it but normally it's the midday games each day that tend to be rough. I'm fired up for the first game of the day.

Then I feel a bit of a lag in game two.

Then I bottom out in game three.

Then I'm revved back up for game four.

I mean, I hope to be great for every game but one has to be realistic.

It has to be fun. That's non-negotiable. Why do it otherwise?

We laughed a lot in that booth last year. The people up there all understood me and I them and, as such, we had a blast. It was sad to see it end. We helped each other.

There will be new people in the booth and we'll learn the rhythm again. We're stuck with each other.

And, hopefully, someone will do a coffee run.

One of the very wise things that Trumbull Babe Ruth does is schedule who is on each game, keeping a rotation of people moving around.

Between speaking engagements

At Robcasting I also have a rotation of me, myself, and I.

With Shawn Sailer whenever he can make it.

Gone are the days of Jake Zimmer and Dan Gardella joining me. Same with AJ Szymanowski. A booth door is open to all of them but they each have lives.

Chris Kaelin and Chris Erway and Ryan Demaria aren't coming through the doors either. All busy as they should be.

There's almost never a lengthy break between games so I have to stay ready.

This is my baby. And Shawn's. 

And if something happens? Well, let's not consider that yet.

(That being said, you know I've considered that, right?)

You have to be a little bit crazy to do this, as I told a group of high school students at Norwalk Community College taking part in a sports career camp today.

A few hours later, I addressed the Babe Ruth banquet in Trumbull.

My passion and excitement for this business and the tournament were on full display.

So I'll get up tomorrow, grab a good breakfast somewhere, and hit the road for Trumbull High School.

I'll try to scoop up some water and snacks as well. Best laid plans and all.

I'll set up, probably in the window as I've used before.

Then we'll get down to work.

I told Pittsfield they were up first (Keene, NH wasn't at the banquet).

There will be mistakes. Mispronunciations. 

Hopefully, there will be triumphs also. Hopefully, these will be broadcasts everyone will be proud of.

I need some rest. It will be here soon.

No comments: