Friday, July 01, 2022

Dear Greenwich

 

(Photo: Wikipedia)

Hello, 06830.

So, you're my hometown now.

You've been my adopted work town for 25 years -- full-time, part-time, freelance, and even volunteer.

I've called football, baseball, basketball, ice hockey, softball, volleyball, lacrosse, soccer, golf, and literally every other sport I can think of inside your borders.

Even water polo.

Heck, I've even been the announcer for Greenwich Polo and I had a blast.

I also called events involving Greenwich schools in other towns. Cross country, track and field, and wrestling all immediately come to mind. One day, we'll get bowling on the air.

I've called games involving each high school (there are five).

I've called youth games.

I've called Greenwich Cannons American Legion games.

I used to call every GYFL football championship Sunday.

I called a couple of Greenwich Winter Classics because I wanted to. I made $0 doing it but I wanted families to hear a trusted voice who knows how to broadcast hockey.

Oh yeah and I've hosted numerous sports talk shows and interviewed so many of your athletes.

Most of this was on WGCH Radio. A lot of it on Local Live and Robcasting Radio.

While we're at it we should probably discuss the roughly 20 election nights I've spent befuddled in campaign headquarters looking for interviews.

We should also note the hours and hours of news coverage that I did, including so many times that I was the lead fill-in anchor for Jim Thompson and, later, Tony Savino.

I was there -- having volunteered to come down and made no money for it -- the night of the superstorm and slept on the floor of the radio station in my then-office.

I came in and anchored coverage when Space Shuttle Columbia crashed.

I was in the building on Sep 11, 2001, and hosted a show on Sept 12.

I've now hosted -- what? -- five Greenwich Town Parties on the air?

I drove in a couple of St. Patrick's Day parades and hosted two of them on the radio.

And there's a lot more. There's also behind-the-scenes stuff.

I'm not looking for a day in my honor or a Hall of Fame plaque. I deserve none of that.

I guess I get a little bummed when I see things either not getting covered at all or whatever.

"Whatever" is a nice way to avoid saying what I'd like to say.

I'm particularly struck because Fairfield National little league is bringing me aboard to call their baseball games beginning next week.

After that, I'm calling another Babe Ruth New England Regional Tournament. In Trumbull.

Plus I'm doing public address announcing for the Renegades and I'll go back to Mahopac anytime.

But I'm here now, Greenwich. I'm yours also. Maybe more than ever.

Yet I have to go where I'm wanted. I also have to go where I can make a living.

I wrote my rent check yesterday and I was damn proud to do so. Trust me, that feeling will wear off but, for now, it's a nice thing.

You have a radio station in town, Greenwich, and we'd like you to know that. 

I'd like you to know that.

I have friends who often say #HireRob and, well, why not? 

In the fall, I'm hopefully heading back to Brunswick and, maybe, Greenwich football though nothing is confirmed with any of that.

But I'm around for the summer and, often, lots of other times scattered around the week.

If you don't know me, ask around. Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, parents, grandparents, etc have all heard me and others over these 25 years.

I live here now, in part due to fate, but also by choice. I wanted to be closer to friends and loved ones.

But I also liked the idea of being closer to Hunt Scanlon and Brunswick and Greenwich High and 360 Service Partners and even Local Live -- all of whom I've done something for in recent years.

My resume and reputation are pretty solid. At least I think so.

I'm no salesman but that's my pitch.

I'm here.

No comments: