Monday, July 18, 2022

Electric

 


I had heard horror stories about Eversource, the power-providing behemoth that lights up Greenwich.

Their customer service was great when I created my account.

Today, they heard from me for a different reason: the bill.

I noticed the price on my most recent bill seemed a bit outrageous, at least compared to what I paid to power a four-bedroom house back in Mahopac.

In this case, the bill was double for a two-bedroom abode in Greenwich.

After waiting all weekend to speak with someone (their offices were closed) I spoke with a rep on the telephone this morning. Her answers, in short, were basically that I everything is running as it should and I used too much electricity.


There was more but it left me annoyed. So I stewed it over and decided to go to social media.

I tweeted at them. I also posted a screenshot of the tweets on my Facebook page. 

Reactions bounced between "I wish my bill was that low," "Welcome to Connecticut," and "Holy crap."

Some of my friends recognized that the cost was, indeed, obscene.

I guess I'm just astounded that Sean and I moved here -- a smaller place -- using less electricity than we used to and we're still paying more.

More than double, to be exact.

Eversource saw the tweets and opened a direct message conversation with me. We reviewed everything. We examined air conditioners and usage. We looked at the washer/dryer. 

Then we spoke about the electric water heater. That seems -- for now -- to be the culprit.

Look, we'll make this work. I can hope that we can either find an error or make an adjustment to bring it back down but, for tonight, it is what it is.

The concerning thing is that we're about to go into a rough stretch of high temperatures but Sean and I will be fine. We always make it work.

Now, I have to shut down before I need to charge my computer.

Which I'll be doing somewhere else.

I'm kidding. 

I hope.

No comments: