Saturday, October 23, 2021

Nope

 


Somewhere near Andover, MA -- I tried. Really, I did.

I took the trip to here to call Brunswick's game against Phillips Academy.

The game? 40-0, Bruins. Brunswick had five takeaways in the first half -- four in the first quarter -- and the victory was never in doubt. I enjoyed the experience.

But there's the matter of where I called the game from. You see, there's a two-level "booth" where coaches and assorted personnel go to call the game. 

However, there's also a spiral staircase that one must ascend -- and descend -- to reach each level. Did I mention the staircase hangs off the back of the bleachers?

"Don't look down."

Now, the truth is, I love a good observation point. If I feel safe, I have no problem enjoying a view. But ladders and the like? Oh, no. No. No. No.

So the initial plan was that I would call the game from the top level of that monstrosity. I'd be up there with assistant coach Wayne McGillicuddy as well as Gus the cameraman extraordinaire.

Then I really began to look at it. Uh oh.

Wayne mentioned he's not a fan of heights. I admitted I'm not either.

But, up he went. I let him get upstairs and pondered things before I began climbing. I decided I would only take my backpack, figuring I'd need to come back down for the equipment bag and a bathroom break before kickoff.

My mind was totally playing me. I began to climb.

"Don't look down," I repeated as I spiraled upstairs.

I got up top and looked at Wayne.

"I don't know about this," I said.

"Yeah, me neither, and I felt it shake," he said.

"Nope. Nope. Nope Nope."

I felt a sense of a panic attack. My breathing was short. I felt weak.

I grabbed onto the railing and began spiraling back down.

My legs were wobbly.

"Nope," I repeated.


That took care of that. I set up down below next to the official running the scoreboard and the young PA announcer, who had never been an announcer before. He was a player who was offered the duty.

"I'm just repeating what you're saying," he told me.

I told him to keep doing what he was doing and have fun.

He thanked me for the advice. 

I'm on the bus now as we work our way back to Greenwich before making the trip home.

A long day.

A good day.

A good weekend for Brunswick and Greenwich football with both picking up definitive victories.



No comments: