Thursday, October 14, 2021

Football Saturday: Help Wanted

 

St. Joseph High School, Trumbull

So, I have another wedding this Saturday.

I also have Greenwich at St. Joe's football this Saturday.

But, let's be honest, I made the commitment to attend the wedding and, like it or not, I won't be able to cover the football game. This has cost me in myriad ways.

Yes, I did have a backup in place and everything was all set but they backed out, leaving me in this lurch. I've asked around. Nobody is available.

I even asked TEN (yes, the Trumbull Eagle Network) thinking they might want to take a stab at a pretty huge game. They're not available.

So here I sit -- in Trumbull, in fact -- absolutely horrified. In 23 years of covering games, I've never had this situation come up.

It was the very reason that I hedged on this wedding in the first place. My sense of commitment (and, indeed, liking a paycheck) fought with my duty to my family. I didn't want to put anybody in a bad spot.

Instead, I put myself there.

Now -- lest you think I've completely forsaken you -- I do see that St. Joe's is aligned with NFHS, meaning there will be a game broadcast via video. This doesn't automatically mean that there will be voices on the game, but I've at least found something.

You know the old saying: "If you want something done you have to do it yourself." I say that with no offense intended to anyone but lives are busy, including mine. 

I'll be back next week and for the foreseeable future for everything.

No comments: