Monday, October 18, 2021

Is It Spring Yet?

 

These two. The best.

First off, my brief wedding season is over.

Thankfully, with all due respect.

AJ and Victoria are a week into their post-wedding life (though officially and truly married for over a year now). Katie and Marshall got married Saturday night in Connecticut.

The following morning, Ashley took that picture of me and her adorable daughters (and my great-nieces). Since I have a different take on family these days (you can't pick them) I needed that picture. I needed that laugh.

How I love to laugh with kids, whether it's them or driving toy cars and dancing with little Carson (my great-nephew) at the wedding or talking journalism this morning virtually with students in New Milford (Susan's sister teaches there). I just enjoy the interaction, especially if I can connect. I guess I feel that about all ages but obviously some are tougher than others.

Oh, the family comment? Family is tough. What you find out over time is that there is blood and then there are the people that you pull into your life and they become a true family.

All of that can be true. 

*****

You might have seen that Minor League Baseball (aka "Minor League Baseball presented by Major League Baseball") has agreed to pay for housing for players. Of course, it's about time. Now, it would be nice to see players and non-players making living wages.

I appreciated every dime that the Renegades gave me this year. I loved the experience. Obviously, you know that. But that grind isn't for everyone, especially those who can't afford it. That's why I get bat bleep crazy when I see the utter insane entitlement who don't have the talent but still can afford to stay in the business. Specifically, I'm talking about broadcasters in this case, of course. I can discuss it because I see it literally on a near-daily basis.

I survived 2021 because I have other jobs that help me pay my bills and that appears to be the case heading into 2022. Still, I can't speak of insurance and that scares me. I'm often talking to people about trying to create the opportunities that will keep my life going and allow me to take better care of myself while actually living.

Lots of people give up on broadcasting because they can't afford it and that's a straight-up shame. I have love and respect for the grinders who have worked their tails off and don't give up but I also completely understand those who do give up.

So, yeah, it would be nice if a living wage wouldn't weed out those more talented but less fortunate. 

*****


Staying with the Gades, let's wrap up with this video that I just keep watching over and over again. It's the 2021 promo video that recaps a whole lot of what happened at Dutchess Stadium this season. I can't say clearly enough how fortunate I was to have worked with all of these people (especially the guy at :15).

Assuming Zach Neubauer was behind this masterpiece (he hates compliments) I think he did an outrageously good job of pulling so much together. Not much is missing, to be honest, and it's impossible to capture everything.

But he found footage of Sam and the bucket hat video and Clint, who left us for Michigan, and of Conor and Spencer in the booth with me and Derek Craft with the chicken and a glimpse of Kyle MacDonald posting with Anthony Volpe and Volpe's dog and a collection of big in-game moments and a lot more.

I often dread doing audition reels and highlights unless I have them pre-cut (which I do with the Gades).

I've watched the video at least four times.

I miss all of it. 

I miss all of them.

Speaking of which, it's almost time for me to join Zach for a Renegades Offseason Podcast (working title, of course).

Enjoy the video.

No comments: